PDA

View Full Version : Robert shaw style thermostats really do work! Keeps 401 cool

Bulltear Ad
Bulltear Ad

kaelen
09-21-2008, 02:57 PM
I thought I'd share this..

My new .040 over 401 was running a bit on the warm side. Around 210 on the highway. Around town it was ok.

I'm running a flowkooler water pump and I had a 195 stant superstat in it.

I read about the high flow Robert Shaw style thermostats. I also read a bunch of stuff saying that the high flow thermostat didn't work because the water moved too fast through the radiator, etc.

My local shop had a 195 one in the Mr Gasket line. The MRG ones are supposed to be made by the same company. Robert Shaw sold their line to Cooper Automotive a few years ago.

I swapped in the new thermostat. Now the 401 never budges above 195. They really do work as advertised.

09-21-2008, 05:27 PM
My new 030 over 360 has a mr. gasket 180 thermostat, and a stock water pump. It barely reaches 190 degrees at 60 mph in 94 degree florida heat. At idle it actually cools down to 175-180 degrees.There is a post on this website about running the vacuum advance on manifold vacuum as opposed to ported vacuum. I tried it, and let my engine idle for 20 mins. in my driveway, and it could barely reach 180 degrees.I run 8 degrees initial advance, plus the 15 degrees vacuum, and it cranks over easily hot or cold.Throttle responce is a little better also. The idle is dead solid with no fluctuation. I,m sold.

Bulltear Ad