PDA

View Full Version : Truck Avenger - is it streetable and size for 401

Bulltear Ad
Bulltear Ad

kaelen
09-22-2008, 02:13 PM
Ok, I'm getting a little frustrated with holley's tech support. I don't think the person assigned to my case knows diddly about carbs.

I'm asking them about my problems with the idle being too rich and idling off the transition circuit. Here is his response..

"Is this carb used for rock climbing and steep angles? If not that may be the issue. The truck avenger is not a streetable carb. The only thing that these carbs were made for is rock climbing and steep angles"

My jeep doesn't see off-road everyday. I need to drive around town and get to where I'm going to wheel on the highway.

I need some advice from people who have run this carb. Does it work on the highway and around town? Mine sure runs great on the highway. Much stronger than the edelbrock was. I'm just having problems with it idling off the transition circuit.

I'm wondering if I bought the right size for my engine. I have a .040 over 401 with headers and a 212 * 218 cam. Holley's sizing chart shows that for a 400+ cubic inch to use the 770.

Any advice would be appreciated.

ironman_gq
09-22-2008, 09:12 PM
the only thing that makes the truck avenger special is the bowl vent and a little fuel tweaking. It should run fine and be just fine on the street.a 770 shouldnt be too small for a 401. check your float height and try lowering it slightly even if it looks ok you might have fuel spilling over and causing your rich condition.

kaelen
09-23-2008, 10:11 PM
Thanks, yeah I don't understand how a check ball, spring loaded seats and a fuel vent would make it unstreetable. It kind of seemed like just a excuse to me.

I currently have the 670 carb on my 401. I was just wondering if the 770 would have been any easier to adjust for my engine.

Doing the CFM calculators show that the 670 should be big enough. Holley's charts for the Truck Avenger show the 770 cfm for 400+ cubic inches.

I was curious if anyone has experience between the 670 and 770 on a 401.

1980_Cj7
09-24-2008, 07:42 AM
We have an Edelbrock Performer 750 carb on our 401 that is almost exactly the same specs as yours, and it is running really rich. Haven't fooled with it much because we are getting ready to go to TBI.

ironman_gq
09-24-2008, 08:03 AM
I think some will tell you that with AMC's you should go up 30% on what they recommend but you should have more than enough carb for a 401.

FuzzFace2
09-24-2008, 09:20 PM
Kaelen the best thing you could do is pick up a book on Holley carb tuning. This will tell you how to test what power valve you should be running as this can be part of why it is rick at idle.There are other little things to fix the rich issue like opening the secondarys some (controled vacuum leak) so you can close the primary side.
The tech guy I guess never did read their own book 111!!!
Dave ----

Bulltear Ad