PDA

View Full Version : 360 running issue

Bulltear Ad
Bulltear Ad

jeepcj7304
09-22-2008, 06:10 PM
i bought a used 360 from a guy that was parting out his j20. He said it had 30k on it and i have seen it running around town and it sounded good before pulling it i let it run and it still sounded good. anyway i put it in my cj and installed my intake from the 304 i had it is an offenhouser. i also used my 650 edelbrock carb. the issue im having is it idles fine but when i put it in gear under a load and start to drive it pops and stutters. my friend pulled the plugs and they were white and he said it was running lean no carb adjustment gets rid of it. i tried another carb same issue. i only changed the intake, carb, dist (hei), and headers. im stumped. could it be teh intake gasket? someone said cam maybe shot but i dont think this guy would have screwed me. anyone want to come fix my headache for a six pack? or a 727 trans? im in gettysburg Fuzz your close? LOL

tufcj
09-23-2008, 07:29 AM
Might be a timing problem. Check the mechanical and vacuum advances to be sure they aren't sticking, set the initial timing around 8-10 degrees BTDC.

Bob
tufcj

Dusty
09-23-2008, 11:48 AM
does it pop out the exhaust or out the carb?

is the timing set correctly? where is it at?

Have you double checked the spark plug wires? ive seen alot of amc's that guys cross 1 or 2 wires on and end up with a motor that pops and cackles out the exhaust and they cant figure out whats wrong.

if spark plugs are white then id be richening up that carb. lean is lean. some more details about the popping would help. is it only under load.... can it free rev with a little popping and then once out on the street under a load it will pop even more?

jeepcj7304
09-23-2008, 06:01 PM
it doesnt seem topop at all even when reving then it pops when driving even under medium throttle. popping is out exhaust. i checked the wires twice and had someone else check them. i swapped the carb and adjusted both with no change. The dizzy is a HEI and it did get water and mudd under cap last time out before pulling motor. i sprayed it out with WD40. I am leaning towards the dizzy or intake manifold gasket. i pulled the vacum advance from the carb and got no change when driving

jeepcj7304
09-26-2008, 07:05 PM
i dont think i feel any vacuum at any of the ports on the carb would the intake gasket cause this? or just a carb issue? i already swapped carbs.

jeepcj7304
09-28-2008, 05:00 PM
replaced the intake gasket still same problem????

kaelen
09-28-2008, 06:23 PM
You mentioned you had water and mud in the distributor. Did you replace the cap? It could be carbon tracked. That would cause it to pop. It could be crossfiring inside the cap.

But if that was the case I'd think it would do it all the time. Sometimes those HEI's can get water inside the coil housing as well. It can corrode or track around the coil. A weak spark might cause it to run bad under load.

jeepcj7304
09-28-2008, 08:02 PM
i had the one part tested.... name escapes me now. four prongs bolts inside the base of dizzy. cleaned it out real good with brake clean. everything looked ok when i had it apart but i might buy a cap, rotor, and coil i can always return them if that dosent work.

ironman_gq
09-29-2008, 08:09 AM
what did you richen up? did you just adjust the idle screws or did you put larger jets in? if 1 size up didnt do it try two or three sizes up. put a vacuum gauge on the motor to set the idle screws adjust them till you pull the highes reading you can.

jeepcj7304
09-29-2008, 06:00 PM
i just adjusted the idle screws it a edelbrock 4 barell 650 neer swapped the jets

ironman_gq
09-30-2008, 10:41 AM
idle screws do very little if anything to your cruising mixture which is where you seem to be lean. I would go up 2 jet sizes and see if its better.

Bulltear Ad