PDA

View Full Version : save the 304?

Bulltear Ad
Bulltear Ad

Ratman
09-25-2008, 11:57 AM
Hi all
I have a 304 that had the top end done and lo and behold it flatened a lifter in about the first 200 miles.
So is this a cam walk thing or did I just not get moly were needed. Also should I swap it for something else or get a new cam?
Thanks
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v318/ratmansJeep/78CJ/304009.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v318/ratmansJeep/78CJ/304001.jpg

dwloop
09-25-2008, 01:03 PM
Flatten a cam lobe? What kind of oil where you running? Do a google search for ZDDP...

Check out Comp Cams and others like this:
http://www.compcams.com/Base/pdf/FlatTappetCamTechBulletin.pdf

The flattened lobe probably caused the cam walk, not the other way around..

HTH
Dave

tufcj
09-25-2008, 02:48 PM
I'd save it. If it's for a Jeep, go with something like a Edelbrock Performer or a Summit K8600. Maybe a little bigger in a car. The 304 is a good motor. I always replace the lifters and valve springs with ones matched to the cam.

Be sure to clean the pan and oil passages very well, you've got microscopic pieces of metal from that lobe everywhere. Like above, use a ZDDP additive or break-in oil with the new cam.

It will never perform like a 360, but if you're satisfied with it, stick with it. I mud-bogged for years with a well built 304, revved it to 6500+ RPM, never blew it up.

Bob
tufcj

Ratman
09-25-2008, 03:28 PM
I had just 10W30 for oil and did replace the lifters, Push rods, rockers ect...
the heads were redone about 500-1000 miles prior to all of this so I was hopping not to have to pull them again.
it ate throught the lifter and it went flat of course. the lobe on the cam has about half the metal left.

I used the edelbrock cam and lifter set. is that still a good choice?

I will check out ZDDP as well
Thanks

ironman_gq
09-25-2008, 09:46 PM
how did you break in the cam? You should run it at 2000-2500rpm for 15 minutes no load then change the oil and add another bottle of break in lube and take it easy for 500 miles. no lugging or wot runs.

Ratman
09-26-2008, 10:27 AM
You should run it at 2000-2500rpm for 15 minutes no load then change the oil

that I did but never knew about break in lube.
Go figure live and learn. It ran great for a very short period of time.
The lifter looked like it didn't have any oil to ride on.
I am going to order a cam today and give it another try. I'll let ya'll know. any other advice while I have the top end apart would be greatly aprecated.
Thanks

dwloop
09-26-2008, 12:31 PM
I am preparing to fire a rebuilt 401 this weekend. I have got 6 quarts of Joe Gibbs special break in oil called 'BR'. Time will tell... :wink:

I plan to fire up and run for 20-30 minutes @ 2000 RPM, change the filter (Wix) add one quart for the filter change, then finish the break in for the first few hundered miles on the road. :t:

Check back in a few weeks and I will let you know hiw it went.

Dave

Ratman
10-09-2008, 11:18 AM
OK thanks for the info here is a update.
I got the cam out and the berrings at least the front 2 are pretty rough on the top side. So they gota go.
Heres teh question.
Do I rebuild the 304 ?
do I spend about the same amount and buy a 360 Long block?

The carb, manifold, Dist, timming cover ect... are all brand new or in great shape.
Thanks

Ibby
10-09-2008, 06:13 PM
I bought a 304 long block 2 years ago to replace one that I cooked. I have to say, if I had to do it over again I'd go with a 360. I had an RV cam put in which made things better, but I think I'd have been happier with the bigger motor.

Bulltear Ad