PDA

View Full Version : New Engine , low oil UPDATE !!! DONT LEAVE ME GUYS !

Bulltear Ad
Bulltear Ad

RAYMONDH
10-03-2008, 11:51 PM
oK THE LATEST IS THIS . i hooked up a mech. oil gauge right to the block the kind with the 12 in line, a mech. type gauge, 60 psi at start, she ran for 20 min water temp 190, at idle 25 psi of oil , hit the gas right up to 60 psi , i felt good , .maybe i had a bad ( new stewert warner made in mexico gauge ). So I took the same gauge and hooked it up in the drivers compartment at the end of the 8 foot copper line. Same results so i took the big dude out on the road. My smile lasted just a few minutes cruisen on the highway only 45 psi , at idle 15 psi , right back where i started. Back in the garage i hooked the gauge right back to the block and bad news 15 psi at idle and 50 if i hit it to 4500 rpm. So since this is a 100 mile engine and the shop is assuring me it is built correct and lets assume it is .where am I ? clearence in the oil housing ? even though its all new top to bottom and the mech says the clearance was set at 2 thoushand could it be more now ? is that where i am lossing psi.? This is a 70 390 for my 70 AMX and you all know they are few and far between to find the 70 motor it is 60 over and the crank is 30 under so no more room to rebuild . Car is going to the engine shop on Monday because I am afraid to drive it.Just trying to rull out any ideas and any lost time .

Thanks for any feed back . timing cover is new from those guys in Washington bjs off road ? It was a gift . Running castrol 30 hd oil and napa gold filter.

BREK
10-04-2008, 07:37 AM
1st thing that comes to mind is a sticking pressure relief valve. Did you use a new or old cover? could be clearence issues be it new or old.

rollen dean montoya
10-06-2008, 03:23 PM
you just might be right brek. if the old cover was used then i
would think that wear in the pump is the issue. if not then the sticky pressure relieve valve.

Bulltear Ad