PDA

View Full Version : Professional Products Dampers Q...

Bulltear Ad
Bulltear Ad

kris
10-13-2008, 12:36 PM
I read somewhere (cant find it now) that these dampers dont always fit the AMC crank snout and some have had problems. The info from them says that the damper is machined to factory spec, but that your results may vary.

Anyone have experience with these ?
im thinking about the 80101.
I dropped the engine off this am at the rebuilder, the clock is ticking... :wink:

kris.

dwloop
10-13-2008, 12:43 PM
I have used two of them recently, one on a 401, one on a 360. Both needed to be honed to fit.

My machine shop fitted the first using a rod hone when I had them working on the 360 for our CJ5. The one for my 401 I honed using a small cylinder hone, checking the fit with a snap gauge and micrometer. I cannot remeber exactly, but it seems they both had an interference of like .004". That's quite a bit on a bore that small... After honing, I still had to use a good installer to seat them. DO NOT PULL ON WITH THE BOLT!!

BTW, they both balanced perfectly, something I cannot say for the 360 flywheel I purchased off ebay.

HTH

Dave

kris
10-13-2008, 01:02 PM
Thanks.

On the DIY...
How did you keep a cylinder hone from catching on the keyway ?

k.

kaelen
10-13-2008, 06:43 PM
I used one of these on my 401 build. It fit the crank without honing. It was slightly snug, but it pulled on ok with an installer.

But I did have a problem with the timing mark. It was assembled 8 degrees advanced.

That lead to the timing being 8 degrees retarded until I figured out what was going on.

dwloop
10-16-2008, 08:11 PM
Thanks.

On the DIY...
How did you keep a cylinder hone from catching on the keyway ?

k.

The hone did not catch, I suppose the stones were just wide enough not to drop in...

Dave

Bulltear Ad