PDA

View Full Version : 360 oil leak

Bulltear Ad
Bulltear Ad

jeepcj7304
10-17-2008, 04:00 AM
i finally figured out the old stuttering problem somehow i fouled out 3 plugs (fuel fouled) they were brand new and i didnt run it very much. Anyway new issue i drove the jeep a few miles getting on it here and there now i am leaking a good amount of oil it appears to be coming from the top. I felt around the notorious valve covers and didnt feel anything. I looked behind the back of the intake manifold up top and it looked wet. i felt it and got some oil residue but not much i think most gravity had pulled down. it is dripping off the tranny bell housing and around that area. has anyone had this blow out and start to leak with out causing running issues? Should i try to tighten the bolts and see if it stops? Or just replace teh gasket again? I used a napa gasket with grey permatex.

ironman_gq
10-17-2008, 08:15 AM
if its leaking out from the intake valley then its because oil is collection in there faster than it can drain out and leaking past the end gasket or being thrown or blown out past the end gasket. how did you seal the intake ends (rubber gasket or rtv) and do you have a working pcv system or other crankcase venting hooked up. any oiling mods? are the oil galley plugs in the back of the engine block tight? If your leaking a lot of oil but dont have vacuum leaks tightening the bolts probably will do more harm than good. I would pull the intake and reseal the whole thing with a fat bead of rtv at the end instead of the rubber gaskets.

jeepcj7304
10-17-2008, 05:12 PM
i used rubber gaskets and a little rtv i will try to pull it this weekend. I am going to clean it and then drive it a few miles and see if i can better see where the leak is coming from. no oiling mods done and pcv is hooked up

jeepcj7304
10-17-2008, 05:26 PM
just went out and looked pcv had a bolt in the end of the hose still from checking the carb. that im guessing caused the blow out right.

ol' school power
10-18-2008, 08:46 PM
just went out and looked pcv had a bolt in the end of the hose still from checking the carb. that im guessing caused the blow out right.
Good chance the bolt and the silicone caused it if you ran the silicone all the way across.
Silicone will let the end piece slip when the intake is bolted down.

jeepcj7304
10-19-2008, 05:28 AM
so should i use just the end pieces or just rtv a buddy said he always uses just rtv on his javelins intake and it works great?

ironman_gq
10-19-2008, 05:11 PM
just put down a nice heavy bead of rtv and bolt it on make sure you use enough to seal the end completely but not enough to squeeze out into the intake valley cause chunks of rtv in the oil system will cause other problems. Take the rubber gaskets and throw them in the garbage.

jeepcj7304
10-20-2008, 03:44 AM
sounds good thats what ill do

Bulltear Ad