PDA

View Full Version : dana 30 ujoints 1976 cj5

Bulltear Ad
Bulltear Ad

djaponi3
10-25-2008, 04:17 AM
does anyone have part numbers for the left and right ujoints in my dana 30 so I can search online for the best deal

tufcj
10-25-2008, 09:52 AM
The Dana/Spicer number is 5-260x. There will be a huge number of cross references.

Take a word of advice from someone who's been there. You get what you pay for. A $28 genuine Dana/Spicer U-joint will last 4x as long and be 2x as strong as the Chinese made GMB that you get for $10. Think about the work and time it takes to replace one, and the trouble if one fails on the trail.

I have had VERY good luck with the HD u-joints that Big-A auto sells under their own brand. They are stamped CR-NI (chrome-Nickel). They run about $23 each, but they're worth the money.

Bob
tufcj

Ibby
10-25-2008, 11:04 AM
I'll second using a good quality axle shaft ujoint. Changing them on the trail sucks. It's marginally better if you have a newer truck with a unit hub bearing, but not much. I find the better alternative is to go with a cheaper ujoint in the driveshaft so it acts like a fuse. They're a lot easier to replace on the trail as well.

djaponi3
10-26-2008, 05:35 AM
thanks for the advice

Bulltear Ad