PDA

View Full Version : PermaTorque Head Gaskets & Sealant...

Bulltear Ad
Bulltear Ad

kris
11-08-2008, 07:31 PM
I picked up my engine today form the builder.

The shop owner was unfortunately not there today when I picked it up.
I did however talk with the guy that did the assembly and I asked him which sealant he used on the metal side of the FelPro gaskets he used.

I got a blank stare.

Even after I spoke to the shop owner about it last week, it looks like they didnt use any sealant on the block side of the gasket.

The assembler told me that since the block and heads were both milled that it wasnt necessary.

Is this a problem ?
Does anyone not use sealant on these ?
FelPro says to use sealant on metal faced gaskets.
Ive always used sealant...

Thoughts ?

kris.

JERSEYJOE
11-08-2008, 09:26 PM
CALL ME OLD FASHION BUT I ALWAYS SPRAY THE METAL SIDE WITH SEVERAL COATS OF PERMATEX COPPER COAT. HAVE NOT HAD A PROBLEM YET. I ALSO USE SEALER ON ALL THE BOTTOM HEAD BOLTS.

http://i94.photobucket.com/albums/l90/JERSEYJOE01/Picture569.jpg

northplainsdrifter
11-09-2008, 11:48 AM
Do you need to retorque the heads after it warms up? I just replaced a head and I couldn't find anything about retorquing. I put on the same gaskets and the instructoins said to use sealeant on the metal side.

ol' school power
11-09-2008, 12:50 PM
I agree with the permatex copper spray.
On the retorque, I say do it. They're permatorque under most but not all circumstances.

tufcj
11-09-2008, 02:09 PM
If the block was decked, and compression under 9.5:1, I think you'll be OK without sealer. The sealer helps compensate for slight irregularities in a used block.

Bob
tufcj

JERSEYJOE
11-09-2008, 04:26 PM
YES THE SEALER IS NOT A MUST BUT I DO IT ON ALL ANY HOW. IT TAKES A FEW MINUTES. BY THE WAY I HAVE NEVER HAD TO RETORQUE. I LIKE TO TORQUE THE HEADS WITH THE FACTORY PATTERN IN 3 STEPS: 40 LBS, 80LBS, 100 LBS.

jeepsr4ever
11-19-2008, 04:05 PM
I am not sure when gaskets maker Felpro started using composites but it means you dont really need the copper spray. Guys like me and Joe like to use the spray as a cheap insurance but many....many racers and builders alike use nothing and almost all gaskets nowadays do not require any kind of extra coating. When your decked on both surfaces your in great shape and you shouldnt need any spray.

rollen dean montoya
11-19-2008, 04:23 PM
my dad and i still use the copper spray just to be sure. torque as jersey joe says and you can't go wrong. better to be safe than sorry.

kris
11-20-2008, 10:54 AM
ok.

Im tempted to run it as is.

But if I did decide to pull the heads, can I reuse the FelPro's (they have not been run) or am I into a new set of gaskets ?

k.

Bulltear Ad