PDA

View Full Version : dodge magnum parts in 360 amc

Bulltear Ad
Bulltear Ad

superhog88
11-09-2008, 12:04 AM
will the roller lifters out of a magnum engine work in a 360 amc

also is there a certain piston that is readily available that is cheap to use a 6in chevy rod in a 360amc that will give me 9.5 to 1 compression ratio

msalaba
11-09-2008, 09:53 AM
There is a wealth of information on roller rockers here. Do a search.

http://www.bulltear.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=5811&highlight=ford+roller+rockers

ironman_gq
11-09-2008, 01:04 PM
with roller lifters there are several things to consider when trying to use them. they require a guide or tie bar to keep them from spinning you need a cam designed for roller lifters and a thrust plase to control cam walk and probably several other things i cant think of. I would stick with the hydraulic lifters and run roller rockers.

tufcj
11-09-2008, 02:01 PM
Although the lifter diameter is the same, I think the spacing is different, so they'd need a different tie-bar, There was also an issue with Crane roller lifters with the oil slot being exposed (not sure if it was top or bottom) causing oil to bleed and loss of pressure. The solution was to bush the lifter bores. Not sure if the Mopar ones would have the same problem or not, but most were originally built for Mopar applications, then adapted for AMC since we use the same lifter diameter. Also think about the cost of a roller cam (don't run rollers on a cam designed for flat tappets). A roller cam also needs an anti-walk plate which requires machining of the block and cam gear.

Unless you're going ultra-high performance, there are plenty of great standard hydraulic or solid cams that take good advantage of the large diameter lifter AMCs use. Because of the larger lifter, they can use more aggressive ramps on the cam, opening and closing the valves faster.

No off the shelf GM pistons for the 360 with a GM rod. The GM rods are either 2.00" or 2.10" on the big end, I think the 360 rod journal is 2.09", so some machine work would have to be done.

Bob
tufcj

Bulltear Ad