PDA

View Full Version : 360 what dizzy should I run

Bulltear Ad
Bulltear Ad

DISLSMOKE
11-27-2008, 08:44 PM
Ok I know this is a tradgic subject but. I got a 360 a few months back came with a HEI unit on it....I know....So I tore the motor down and found the cam gear is chewed up. Now the motor is back together and I put in a original cam gear from another motor. Funds are low, I was going to buy the MSD ready to run set up $375. But can't afford it right now. A guy at work has a used MSD 6 box he can sell me, what dizzy should I run, Would I be okay with buying a reman from advance or napa? Or should I just wait and get the ready to run? Thanks

Dan

ol' school power
11-27-2008, 09:27 PM
You better look into replacing both gears with a matched set. The cam gear died for a reason and more than likely the one you just installed will be right behind it.

AMX69PHATTY
11-27-2008, 09:41 PM
Sure there will we many opinions.
Have ran a stock AMC Delco dizzy with UniLite conversion and MSD 6 box and Blaster II coil since 1988 or so. Averaged about 2000 miles year. Still the same UniLite module, box, and coil. The infared unit is not as sensitive to radial slop in the dizzy shaft since it does not work from proximity of the reluctor to the pickup. The Delco dizzy appears to be in good shape without alot of sideplay. Ran the stock ~.08 or so endplay until earlier this year, shimmed it down to .016 endplay. Now total advance does not "creap over" under decelerating as viewed with a dial-back timing light. Recurved with a Mr. Gasket kit, mech adv bushing limits total mech adv to ~24 degrees. Jegs offers their own brand of 8mm red, and now 8.5mm yellow Pow'r Wires made to length for AMC's for the stock Delco socket type cap for ~$40. Still using the stock '69 Cam and Dizzy gears and timing cover. Car has 145,555 miles on the odometer, motor is on it's 3rd rebuild. Can see how the HEI's are popular from the plug type posts on the cap over the old socket type. The dizzy is just a switch that grounds the coil, even more so when attached to an MSD box. As long as the advance mechanisms are clean and working smoothly, endplay and main shaft to housing bushings sideplay is ok, it can do it's job. If huge spark plug gaps are avoided, and good plug wires are used, then arcing problems are avoided. Yes, the MSD allows larger plug gaps, but they can tax the insulating properties of other components in the system and wide gaps represent minimal gains in the grand scheme of things. Still run .035 plug gaps to ease up on the rest of the system. Also like seein' folks scratch their heads when the hood is opened and they see a old plain jane small cap Delco dizzy sittin' in there with no bling. With an MSD 6 box it does all the work and the dizzy is just sending it a signal. Caps and rotors are easy to find in a variety of thicknesses, materials, colors, etc, from dirt cheap to fancy schmancy. My 2 cents goes for the Delco dizzy with a UniLite conversion, but this is in a street/strip car, not an offroad Jeep that sees alot of dirt, dust, mud, and water.

Was the matching stock AMC Dizzy shaft driven gear "acquired" along with the Dizzy camshaft drive gear ? All the Dizzy oil passage features and alignments checked and re-ckecked for proper fit-up to ensure adequate oil delivery ? When pre-oiling, leave off the Fuel Pump, look up through the Fuel Pump hole with a flashlight, and confirm profuse oil flow from the dizzy drive gear. It's amazing all the little things that can creap up and prevent proper dizzy gear oiling.

DISLSMOKE
11-28-2008, 08:18 AM
I did check the oiling passages and cleared them out. Checked that oil was getting to the front of the cam and cam dizzy gear with the fuel pump off. I do not have the matching dizzy gear. Where would be a good place to get a new prestolite dizzy. Advance or napa, or aftermarket. If I did get one would the gear that comes with it be okay?

AMX69PHATTY
11-28-2008, 09:24 AM
Advanced does show the PrestoLite as being available on their website and it shows as coming with a gear on it in the picture. But where the gear comes from and if it's a stock AMC gear is another good question. The PrestoLite uses a HAL effect pick-up and reluctor and is much more sesitive to dizzy shaft radial slop. Vacuum Advance Canisters for the PrestoLite dizzy are about ~$40 if it ever needs replaced. Replacement canisters are about ~$10 for the Delco dizzy. Recurving the mech adv in the PrestoLite is more difficult and requires more disassembly since the weights and springs are buried all the way down in the bottom of the housing and The Mr. Gasket Kit only contains (1) set of lighter springs that's it. They're right on top just under the Rotor Button in the Delco dizzy and the Mr. Gasket Kit contains (3) sets of springs, new weights, and an advance limiter bushing. To compare prices from Advanced for the Delco and PrestoLite dizzies search for any AMC V8 before 1975 or so to get a Delco, or later for the PrestoLite. Pretty sure to use the PrestoLite a brain box will also be needed even if used with an MSD box.

msalaba
11-28-2008, 12:24 PM
Another option is use the Motorcraft dizzy found in 80 up V8 Wagoneers. MSD sell a HEI style big cap and the dizzy will wire direct to an MSD box.

If you off road, you will benefit from the big cap as there is less chance of crossfiring if it gets wet.

Wrench Man
11-28-2008, 12:37 PM
Another option is use the Motorcraft dizzy found in 80 up V8 Wagoneers. MSD sell a HEI style big cap.

I would recommend using a GM HEI modual and a GOOD! coil and get the cap adapter off of a Ford at the junkyard for the "Dura Spark" dizzy.

Bulltear Ad