PDA

View Full Version : carb guru's

Bulltear Ad
Bulltear Ad

scurvy dog
12-20-2008, 05:11 PM
what would be a good 4bbl carb replacement for a '84 360?
I will need to have all the ca smog stuff hooked up.
This 360 will be mostly for freeway and some fire road use.
Thanks in advance Bob.

tufcj
12-20-2008, 06:41 PM
Being an 84, I think your stock carb is a Motorcraft 4350, which is a spread bore configuration. Trouble is that it's different than a square bore (Holley or Edelbrock) or a Quadrajet. It can be adapted to a square bore, but finding a CARB approved carb could be a pain. You could swap in an Edelbrock manifold and carb, but being from Kalifornia, I don't know if you'd pass a visual.

Best bet would probably be to find a factory rebuilt stock carb.

Bob
tufcj

kris
12-21-2008, 09:24 AM
A 4bbl carb was not offered from the factory from '79 on, and therefor there is no 4bbl that is CARB legal on an '84.

If you wanted to hide a 4bbl under your aircleaner in hopes that no smog tech would notice, your best bet is to get a stock setup from a '78 or earlier. This way you will still have a stock looking manifold with the choke heater.

The 2bbl Motorcraft is a great carb, probably the best 2bbl ever made. If you are only looking for a freeway and fireroad carb, you cant beat the 2150.

k.

oldscout401
12-21-2008, 07:58 PM
The 2bbl Motorcraft is a great carb, probably the best 2bbl ever made. If you are only looking for a freeway and fireroad carb, you cant beat the 2150.

k.
X2, I ran one on a 360 in a CJ and it was the most trouble free carb I've ever had. In fact if anyone in So Calif. has got a good one laying around I'm looking for one for my Daughter's 304.

Bulltear Ad