PDA

View Full Version : Custom Transfer Case

Bulltear Ad
Bulltear Ad

aatcman
01-10-2009, 05:20 AM
Hi All,

I have an idea that I've been thinking about for a while now -- simply put, an overdrive unit in a transfer case.

Now I'm NOT talking about a perminent overdrive (like the OD kit for the quadratrack) or the manually shifted (like the saturn unit for the dana 20).

What I am talking about is a planetary set that can be locked into 3 different positions - 1:1, 3:1 (low range), and OD (like .72:1 or something along those lines).

This planetary set would replace the current low range unit.

Looking inside my NP-228, it looks like there would be lots of space to make something like that -- some minor gear re-arrangement may be needed for the rest of the case, but none the less.

Anyone know a place that would be willing to build something like this?

The 1:1 to OD would need to be able to be shifted under load (like a regular automatic OD) eletrically -- One would use a switch or an arrangement of pressure and vacuum switches.

The 1:1 to low range has no need to be able to shift on the fly or under load -- one normally goes to N to make that shift anyway.

Big benefit in this is the greatly reduced need to modify the frame / cross member / drive shafts. Just bolt it up and go!

An item like this would sell like wild fire on IFSJA and others.

Thanks!!

Ibby
01-10-2009, 12:44 PM
Have you ever looked at a Stak transfer case? Kind of along the same lines you're thinking...

aatcman
01-11-2009, 01:06 AM
Yes,

Stak cases are MULTI speed, but they do NOT offer overdrive in any of their cases except the Dana 20 / Dana 30 based ones.

The Dana 20 / 30 overdrive (saturn OD) requires the load to be removed (i.e. push the clutch in or put automatic in N) and a manual shift. This is NOT condusive to the intent of using it with an automatic transmission.

What I would like to see is an electric shift that can be done under load, like the OD unit that is built into an AOD tranny.

Thanks

Bulltear Ad