PDA

View Full Version : nickel plate a used timing cover?

Bulltear Ad
Bulltear Ad

brokenjeeper
01-30-2009, 05:16 PM
So...I'm at that point in the build where the money is just about gone, but the parts are still lacking. I was wondering how feasible it might be to nickel plate my used timing cover. The tolerances are acceptable, and I know the alignment is good, so why not? The chap I spoke with at the plating shop seemed to think it was not such a good idea to nickel plate the oil pump cavity or any area that had friction as it would peel. I wonder if that is an adhesion problem due to contaminants on a used cover or something else. What say the experts?

tufcj
01-31-2009, 09:16 AM
I seems to me that MC said it can't be done properly because aluminum is a fairly porous metal, and there's no good way to remove all the oil and contaminates. The nickle won't bond properly and will flake off. Then it goes thru the motor and scores everything.

Bob
tufcj

jeepsr4ever
02-01-2009, 02:26 AM
It can be done pretty well. The old covers require more attention and go through a couple cycles of media blasting and tri-cloro cleaning with soundwaves. The end result is a OEM cover that is Ni plated well but you still have many many areas of wear. You can get a new plated cover that will outperform and OEM cover.

ironman_gq
02-01-2009, 09:52 PM
I think by the time you are done with the prep and plating you would be wasting your time and money it would probably be more cost effective to just buy one of MC's plated covers

brokenjeeper
02-02-2009, 10:59 AM
I appreciate all the input, gents. Your integrity is noted MC. You could have easily steered my into one of your covers, but instead affirmed that it was possible. I believe a new ni timing cover will be the way to go when I get to that point.

JERSEYJOE
02-02-2009, 02:38 PM
WELCOME TO THE FORUM. MC IS ONE OF THE MOST RESPECTED PEOPLE IN THE AMC PARTS BUSINESS. HIS WORD AROUND HERE IS GOLDEN, AND HIS INTEGRITY AND BUSINESS ETHIC IS SECOND TO NONE.

jeepsr4ever
02-02-2009, 05:20 PM
WELCOME TO THE FORUM. MC IS ONE OF THE MOST RESPECTED PEOPLE IN THE AMC PARTS BUSINESS. HIS WORD AROUND HERE IS GOLDEN, AND HIS INTEGRITY AND BUSINESS ETHIC IS SECOND TO NONE.

Dont give me a big head there Joe :sa: Seriously there are spots you need to mask to plate and some areas if not masked well will desenegrated like the idler shaft :D Thanks Joe and keep it on the sunny side! :?:

Bulltear Ad