PDA

View Full Version : Header segestions

Bulltear Ad
Bulltear Ad

80cjinnc
02-01-2009, 07:23 PM
I was wondering if anyone had any segestions on headers for my CJ? I have a 1980 CJ7 401 with a 727 tranny, I was wanting to get a set of Super Comps but I am being told they are discontinued. I currently have a set of fenderwell headers but the rule for racing this year say I must have full exhaust and that is defined by them as exiting behind the rear axel, so my fenderwell headers are not going to work...

ironman_gq
02-01-2009, 09:54 PM
with the auto tranny I dont think you can use long tube headers so you are pretty much stuck with shortys. i would get something that is coated or stainless and run dual 2.5" with a crossover tube between the two banks.

fifesjeep
02-02-2009, 03:17 AM
What about the block hugger headers from a waggy? Is there enough room for those.. they seem to stay pretty tight.. I have an extra set and was thinking about trying to see if they fit when I get back from this deployment.

tufcj
02-02-2009, 08:54 AM
We ran an out the back exhaust on a CJ5 with fenderwell headers once. It took some time and custom bending, but we ran the exhaust thru the rear fenderwell above the tires. We couldn't use a crossover pipe, but it worked out pretty well.

Bob
tufcj

ironman_gq
02-02-2009, 07:12 PM
the problems come when you have to run the pipe past the tranny because the auto tranny is much wider than the manual the collector runs right into the bell

80cjinnc
02-03-2009, 08:57 PM
Thanks for the segestions, we are still trying to come up with a plan. We are thinking about trying to use the headers we have but still not sure, right now we are trying to finish the rear suspension and then with everything back in place we will look at it then.

Bulltear Ad