PDA

View Full Version : Generator problem? 8)

Bulltear Ad
Bulltear Ad

Mudrat
02-14-2009, 06:43 PM
In Nov I couldn't get the danged thing running for hunt camp - pissed me off, but this was really the first weekend I had to check it out. I'm now probably the only guy on the East Coast ( you Westies are on your own 8) ) that has a port and polished 2.2 KW generator 8)

I couldn't get it started for hunting season and was resigned the basic inverter in the truck to run the fridge, computer and ONE light. I couldn't get it to pull all the way through and it wouldn't rotate 360? Took the generator side apart - no problems there, so I decided to find out what would keep the motor from rotating ...

Pulled the head and inside the cylinder I found a bunch of "grunge and rust" that was compacted into the head keeping it from rotating 360. Had to use the vacuum to clean it out :shock: There was so much "stuff" the piston couldn't get all the way up!!! :oops:

So, while I had it apart and was rebuilding, I decided to do some port smoothing and a valve job :mrgreen: Scrubed the valves, decarboned the head, took the die grinder to the rough parts and finished up with the CRAYTEX sticks on the gus-in and gus-out sides and cleaned the fuel tank, :? After about 6 hours of take down, polish, and reassemble, it starts on the second pull and runs like a scalded dog!! :lo1l: Probably need to adjust the governer since it sounds WAY faster than it used to #-o [How do you connect a timing light 8) to a generator???]

Oh yeah, bought the wife some roses and a card today, but her present was leaving me alone in the shop =D> :razz:

ironman_gq
02-15-2009, 12:56 AM
you connect it the same way you would to any engine but you need a seperate battery and a reference mark and degree marks on the flywheel or whatever part of the engine is visible and spinning while it is running. Ive had to do it on atv's where there is a timing plug on the magneto cover. For many engines you can get a 'half shear' key for the flywheel that looks like a woodruff key that is half sheared to advance the timing usually around 3-7 degrees. :lo1l:

Mudrat
02-15-2009, 06:46 AM
PART 1 -you connect it the same way you would to any engine but you need a seperate battery and a PART 2 - reference mark and degree marks on the flywheel or whatever part of the engine is visible and spinning while it is running. Ive had to do it on atv's where there is a timing plug on the magneto cover. For many engines you can get a 'half shear' key for the flywheel that looks like a woodruff key that is half sheared to advance the timing usually around 3-7 degrees. :lo1l:
Thanks, it's part 2 that's gunna be tough. In order to see any spinning part, I have to have the mag shield on and the pull start bolts to that.

It's going to get tested out today - plan to run the compresor and maybe the welder off it for a few hours today =D>

ironman_gq
02-15-2009, 02:48 PM
pull the starter cover and spin it with a half inch drill to get her started (make sure you dont try to spin the recoil housing they only go so far. Let me know how much more power she can push

tufcj
02-19-2009, 08:13 AM
So how many HP/cylinders are we talking for 2.2 KW?

Bob
tufcj

Mudrat
02-19-2009, 10:14 AM
So how many HP/cylinders are we talking for 2.2 KW?

Bob
tufcj
One CYL, 5.5 HP - not a big one, enough to run the camp stuff, lights, battery chargers, computer, projector 8) at the FSJ Invasion a couple years ago I was the local sit-in theater. I'd put a DVD in the computer, and pipe it out the projector onto a sheet tied between tree's. Admission was a beer :t: Back then though I was running off somebody elses 1KW generator that had a hard time with the coffee pot, so I went just a tad larger :?

Before I bought the wall tent and wood stove it ran the rented 19' camper :mrgreen:

Mudrat
02-19-2009, 04:58 PM
OK,
New twist ... I finally got the fuel leak corrected and ran the generator for about 5 minutes. I was going to plug in the compressor to load it and looked at the volt meter 150+ on the gauge :shock: So before plugging in a 120VAC load, I took the meter and measured the receptacle - 243 VAC!!

WTF?!?!!?!

Looks like the diodes or rectifier broke down or I have another problem. On the other hand, I could change the outlets and run the 220V welder :-|

ironman_gq
02-19-2009, 06:19 PM
I would difinately look into the regulator box between the generator and the output panel something definately fried.

Bulltear Ad