PDA

View Full Version : AMC TPI Intake

Bulltear Ad
Bulltear Ad

highlandercj-7
02-26-2009, 08:14 AM
I been thinking about this for a while now. I would love to see someone make a GM TPI Intake for a AMC V-8. There are tons of junkyard FI swaps but the best one has yet to be realized. The old Slomaro TPI units were perfect for Jeeps and trucks but GM never used it in one. They have great throttle responce and low end torque. I think setting a 5.7L Camaro TPI system on a AMC 360 would make one sweet CJ or J truck engine. Everything is avaiable but an intake to bolt the stuff on. :lo1l: If one could make the intake and sell it for under $250.00 it would be a nice alternative to Edelbrocks big $$ Port FI system. IIRC the TPI unit runs out of RPM at 5k but most AMC's do too.

So what ya think AMC guru's?

tufcj
02-26-2009, 08:39 AM
There was a guy that was welding injector bungs on a Torker manifold, then using something like a Megasquirt to fire it.

I think a system like the AMC Edelbrock TPI is still going to be your best bet.

At one time you could buy the Edelbrock TPI manifold separately, but I don't know if you still can. Even then, price was over $500.

$250 for a custom cast manifold isn't realistic. Think at least triple that to start, then it might come down if there's enough demand.

Bob
tufcj

highlandercj-7
03-10-2009, 07:42 PM
Maybe, but if they can produce and sell them reasonable they would sell, you go crazy on price and one would be better off buying the edelbrock kit.

ironman_gq
03-10-2009, 10:12 PM
Maybe get MC to weld injector bungs on manifolds and add fuel rails and injectors to the mix for a somewhat redibuilt system that the buyer could add a controller to to make it a complete system

JERSEYJOE
03-11-2009, 06:25 AM
10-4 ON THE TORKER. I SAW A CAR WITH A TORKER CONVERSION AND IT LOOKED CUSTOM. I AM NOT IF THE TORKER RUNNERS OR PLENUM IS OPTIMUM FOR THE APPLICATION BUT IT WORKED WELL.

ol' school power
03-31-2009, 09:56 PM
Maybe, but if they can produce and sell them reasonable they would sell, you go crazy on price and one would be better off buying the edelbrock kit.

The less engines there are to build them for, the more they cost.
AMC is not SBC

The PIG Smith
04-19-2009, 03:24 PM
I really like this idea...but I am guessing the cost would push it into the same area as the Edelbrock turn key offering.

PROS:
1. Use off the shelf components. The only exotic piece would be the intake manifold.
2. Excellent aftermarket support with performance throttle bodies, injectors and plenum runners.
Picking up some salvage yard units should not be that difficult, but because they are popular with hot rodders, the cost may not be attractive.
3. While the computer tuning would all be based on Chevy 350 speca...a 360 is close in CID and I think the tuning would be a minor issue.
4. Would benefit both Jeepers and AMC Go Fast Car guys.

CONS:
1. The casting of a TPI intake that would fit a GEN3 AMC engine, but accept GM style TPI components would be costly.
I am guessing the only way would be to go to China.
2. Would GM get bent outta shape for someone to product such a part?

http://static.summitracing.com/global/images/prod/large/edl-3860.jpg
Here is a picture of an Edelbrock unit, courteous of Summit Racing.
This unit is for a SBC and costs ~$400
It scares me to think what this same intake would cost for an AMC engine.

MC, what are your thoughts on this idea?

Mudrat
05-16-2009, 10:06 AM
Why would GM get upset? Their going into Chapter 11 anyway AND part of their 'plan' is to bring in more imports anyway!!! Their in the same boad as Chrysler and the boat is sinking ....

81j10honcho
06-10-2009, 05:38 PM
I really like this idea...but I am guessing the cost would push it into the same area as the Edelbrock turn key offering.

PROS:
1. Use off the shelf components. The only exotic piece would be the intake manifold.
2. Excellent aftermarket support with performance throttle bodies, injectors and plenum runners.
Picking up some salvage yard units should not be that difficult, but because they are popular with hot rodders, the cost may not be attractive.
3. While the computer tuning would all be based on Chevy 350 speca...a 360 is close in CID and I think the tuning would be a minor issue.
4. Would benefit both Jeepers and AMC Go Fast Car guys.

CONS:
1. The casting of a TPI intake that would fit a GEN3 AMC engine, but accept GM style TPI components would be costly.
I am guessing the only way would be to go to China.
2. Would GM get bent outta shape for someone to product such a part?

http://static.summitracing.com/global/images/prod/large/edl-3860.jpg
Here is a picture of an Edelbrock unit, courteous of Summit Racing.
This unit is for a SBC and costs ~$400
It scares me to think what this same intake would cost for an AMC engine.

MC, what are your thoughts on this idea?
ive had a similar idea but i thought it would be sweet to do a mpfi setup like the vipers and the lambos and stuff with th dual throttles

Goose
04-18-2010, 02:30 PM
nothing like resurrecting a a long dead thread.. but i have a full TPI injection system form an 85 vette I rebuilt. complete with computer MAF burn off and all with New 24 lb injectors, if any one wants to try and weld up a manifold we can sure try it.

just keep in mind while its a torque monster, it will be out of breath above 5000 rpm. (which is why the vette is slinging an Edlebrock 750 and bigger cam.) it was a bit too short winded at this altitude. It was totally done by 5500 rpm.

Holeshot
04-28-2010, 07:03 AM
Maybe YOUR AMC engines are done revving by 5000, but that's only because you like slow, evidently. The Am V8 will easily rev 6500~7000 if you let it. Way more HP up there, maybe another 200 w/o ruining lowend tq entirely. A tradeoff.

As far as FI goes, I'd not overlook other makers units too. Like LT-1, LSX, Ford & Mopar OEM castings that may be adaptable to a Torker or Performer for the low rev guys. The UR-11 is a multi part casting that a top of a TPI, Ramjet 502, etc. may be adaptable to.

I don't know what would be so hard about cutting 8 pieces of rectangular aluminum tubing (intake port sized ID) and welding them to 2 flat aluminum plates that match & are bolted to the heads of a mockup motor. Then a flat plate to cover the lifter bay. Then drill & tap for direct port injectors to spray on the center of the intake valve, stem being used to split the squirt into a "Y". Then, we need 8 small throttle bodies, likely already in production. Possibly a pair of race 4 cylinder throttle body sets? If I could weld aluminum, I believe I could fab it up myself. For controlling injectors, I'm sure some aftermarket system can be used. Not opposed to mechanical system, either. Kinsler, etc. have been doing it for decades. Guys???

Goose
04-28-2010, 11:51 PM
You must read posts closer Glasshoppah.. I was addressing the Chevrolet TPI system being out of breath by 5500 rpm.. and if a similar long runner manifold was cast for the amc it would have a similar affect on the engine.
a single 48-58 mm throttle body will flow 800- 1000 cfm respectively and would not complicate the computer system with multiple Throttle position sensors and would allow for the system to use a single speed density or Manifold absolute presssure transducer. rather than Multiple Throttle bodies needing separate TPS and MAF type sensors for each plenum.
Having said all of that I would be surprised if you could put together a MPFI system that worked as well as the edelbrock or similar setup for the same money.

I dont like Slow, I don't own anything that is slow. as a matter of fact at this moment I think the slowest thing I own is an 85 corvette that will run 13 second quarters at 5000' above sea level (which is why I know about the TPI system).

Hope I cleared that up for ya. :wink:

highlandercj-7
12-12-2010, 08:24 AM
Still looking for a reasonable cost FI kit for a AMC 360.

Bulltear Ad