PDA

View Full Version : Billet Flexplate for a AW4/AMC V8 combo.

Bulltear Ad
Bulltear Ad

The PIG Smith
03-01-2009, 06:59 PM
Over on the IFSJA Forum, there is a discussion about installing a AW4 automatic transmission from a late model 4.0L I6 in a Wagoneer with a 360 V8.

http://www.ifsja.org/forums/vb/showthread.php?t=98429

My suggestion is for a billet flexplate:
1. that will bolt to the back of the 360 crank
2. bolt to the face of the AW4 torque converter
3. balanced for a 360
4. utilize the 4.0L starter ring gear.

A 4.0L flexplate could be used for a template.
I can not image this would very hard to build.

Secondly, a mounting bracket and hardware to mount a Throttle Position Sensor on a carburetor that the AW4 TCM needs.

jeepsr4ever
03-01-2009, 07:09 PM
Cant the exisiting 4.0ltr flexplate be used with rebalancing?

The PIG Smith
03-01-2009, 09:23 PM
I do not know, but apparently not.
Wagoneerlover from the IFSJA paid $125 to have his 4.0L rebalanced for his 360.

The PIG Smith
03-02-2009, 07:52 AM
More discussion about this flexplate/starter combo on the IFSJA forum.

ironman_gq
03-02-2009, 02:19 PM
125 is still cheaper than having a billet one made and if it works thats pretty cheap. The TPS is where things might get interesting unless you do an EFI upgrade

The PIG Smith
03-02-2009, 05:35 PM
The TPS is where things might get interesting unless you do an EFI upgrade
I agree.
Up until 1994ish, the AW4 had a separate stand alone Transmission Control Unit.
So, while getting the wiring harness to fit may involve some creativity, the brain is, well, a no brainer! HAHAHA

The Throttle Position Sensor mounted on a carburetor is the next technical challenge to solve.
I am watching these fellows closely as they seem to have a good plan.
I am very glad there are some "Trail Blazers" to pave the way for the rest of us.
My hope is that someone (HINT! HINT!) will produce a kit to make this swap much more user friendly.
I know I would gladly pay some extra so I would not have to reinvent the wheel.

The PIG Smith
03-07-2009, 04:13 PM
I corrected the link in my first posting.
http://www.ifsja.org/forums/vb/showthread.php?t=98429

Sergi
08-28-2009, 04:17 AM
I will be telling you Pig, I'm building this 360 to fit my 91 2.5L YJ, that was upgraded at the time with the complete 4.0L+aw4 powerplant. So the 360 must be mated to the aw4. No THs or TFs here in Spain.

My first sight approach is that the parts are interchangeable, flexplate, starter (late model) and the separator plate, iron for the amc alum. for the Powertech.

I'll be also addressing the TPS and injection, as here you can't put older tech in a newer car (MPFI YJ so MPFI 360 minimum)
I'll empty and machine a 4bbl ford motorcraft (lying here), adding injector bungs to the torker I acquired and then guess what I can use for controller.

Bulltear Ad