PDA

View Full Version : CJ Transmission mount pictures needed.

Bulltear Ad
Bulltear Ad

dooghssr
03-12-2009, 03:24 AM
I just installed a TF-727 in my Scrambler and used a brand new Daystar tranny mount. By the end of the day it had
shredded the polyurethane. The idler arm mount is not long enough to reach the skid plate. Need ideas on how to
prevent the new one from getting hammered in no time.

ironman_gq
03-12-2009, 08:45 AM
does this mount use a torque arm like the CJ manual tranny's do?

ironman_gq
03-12-2009, 08:46 AM
do you have rubber engine mounts by chance? With rubber motor mounts and a poly tranny mount the motor will be able to move much more than the tranny mount wants it to so it will destroy the tranny mount

dooghssr
03-12-2009, 01:21 PM
yes I have rubber motor mounts. Without replacing those what should I use for the trans mount?

tufcj
03-12-2009, 02:52 PM
All rubber or all urethane. They don't like to be mixed.

Bob
tufcj

dooghssr
03-12-2009, 03:14 PM
Both the motor and trans are urethane I just need something bigger or another mount for the trans.

ironman_gq
03-12-2009, 05:19 PM
do you have a lot of chassis flex? your getting a lot of twisting to tear up a poly mount. make sure your engine mounts are tight and maybe think about fabbing a torque arm for your tranny to limit the amount of twist its getting.

dooghssr
03-12-2009, 06:07 PM
I think I am good. I think fabbing up a torque arm would be the answer.

1980_Cj7
03-26-2009, 06:17 PM
We have a 727 and yes it should have a torque arm. I don't know what you are referring to when you say idler arm. Do you have the acordian looking spacer that goes with the tranny mount? I can't find any good pics, and we now have a very modified mounting setup and skid plate, but here's the pics I have. You can see the acordian spacer and the torque arm, although modified as I said. We ran a separate cross member and got it up as high as we could by eliminating the acordian spacer. That way we can drop the skid plate without having to support the tranny and take all the mounts loose. Hope they are of some help.

https://home.comcast.net/~rwsr50/ComcastOnlineStorage/NewSkid_004.jpg

https://home.comcast.net/~rwsr50/ComcastOnlineStorage/FrontDriveshaft_5.jpg

Bulltear Ad