PDA

View Full Version : beating a dead horse

Bulltear Ad
Bulltear Ad

djaponi3
03-12-2009, 10:32 AM
I know this question is old and tired I have checked the post but here we go again I have a 360 for my cj5 its stripped down to bare block its never been rebuilt I believe its 1976 era has dogleg heads and dished low comp pistons I plan on a 040 overbore this project is supposed to be low buck but you know how that goes heres my questions do I "have" to balance rotating assy if I use the 343 pistons if they all weigh the same is this a must has anyone just thrown them in and had success I also hear about insufficient quench area when using the 343 slugs is this a big deal or not I dont want to deck the block or shave the heads for fear of intake mating issues/leaks I am thinking of these pistons only if I can simply sustitute them for the low comp 360... and lastly is a fresh 360 with the low comp pistons with the suggested popular cam specs! teamed up with a holley double pumper of 700 to 800 cfm size with the air gap dual plane intake enough to make this fiberglass bodied jeep scary or is it going to be a dog oops one more if I go with the low comp slugs are there advantages to the coated piston skirts or is it a waste of money? thanks as always cj5/rambler owner

tufcj
03-12-2009, 11:11 AM
Unless the 343 pistons weigh the same as the old 360 pistons, you need to balance. Balancing matches the counterweights on the crank, flywheel, and harmonic to the weight of the rods, pistons and rings you're using.

Most shops only charge about $100-150 for a balance. That cost will be recovered in longevity alone (a well balanced motor will live longer).

I ALWAYS have my engines balanced when I rebuild them, just for peace of mind.

Bob
tufcj

djaponi3
03-12-2009, 11:16 AM
it makes total sense when you add weight differance of pistons and crank counterweights

jeepsr4ever
03-12-2009, 11:21 AM
I wouldnt worry about rebalance on a lower rpm motor. If your plan is to rev and hold past 5000rpm then you may want to consider it.

Mudrat
03-12-2009, 03:09 PM
I ALWAYS have my engines balanced when I rebuild them, just for peace of mind.

Bob
tufcj
Ditto, "Just in case I decide to do one of those, "Here, hold my beer" moments :?

djaponi3
03-12-2009, 03:44 PM
what ever happened with paintedrat and his 360 with 343 innards/clearance issues did he succeed????

Mudrat
03-12-2009, 04:57 PM
what ever happened with paintedrat and his 360 with 343 innards/clearance issues did he succeed????
Dunno, haven't seen him for a while :-|

Bulltear Ad