PDA

View Full Version : Harmonic Balancer 360 "take II"

Bulltear Ad
Bulltear Ad

scurvy dog
03-15-2009, 05:32 PM
How far back does the balancer go to the timing case? it looks like it could go back further about 1/4th of an inch. I installed the balancer with the center bolt and torqued it to 90 lbs. My fear is that the crank pulley & the water pump pulley will not align and cause the belts to wear out or jump.
Thanks in advance.
Bob

jeepsr4ever
03-16-2009, 06:48 AM
It should go all the way back until it bottoms out and you cant see the outer part of the smooth shaft on it.

ironman_gq
03-16-2009, 07:59 PM
is your bolt too long?

scurvy dog
03-16-2009, 11:20 PM
"Is my bolt too long"....er I wish lol. No everything is original and it should go back as it was,....Right?
So I removed the H.B and tryed again;stops at the same place every time! :(: I've check every thing, oiled it,talked to it,romanced it,and still NO JOY.I don't dare torq it past 90lbs It would be my luck to snap that little 8)er right off.
The beast is still in the truck,so using a bottle jack or something simulare would be hard to do. It needs to go back 1/4th + of an inch more to fit flush with the washer and touch the crank end.
Would I be better off with a new one [H.B]since the this motor was a rebuild from ATK.? It is most likely that the H.B was not the original.This motor had less then 5k on it when it got over heated and a shrunk #6 piston =D> I bought the 84 GW off a young couple for $1K not running "boy did I get snookerd"So I thought "Huh.............
Simply find out what caused the over heating replace parts,hone cylinder, pop in a new piston" :lo1l:So far I've replaced every somg part,all of it was totally shot...!I love spend money on smog parts they make an engine look so cool :t: new timing cove, oil pump, roller timing Chane etc. etc. etc. and now it looks like a new H.B!!! help I'm almost to the point were I can sit on my wallet and not feel it #-o

tufcj
03-17-2009, 07:21 AM
The crank doesn't come all the way thru, there will be a gap between the washer and the crank. As long as it's seated against the lower cam gear (so that gear can't walk) you're good.

Best thing to do is to put it on, install the crank and water pump pulleys, and see if they line up. If they do, you're good.

Bob
tufcj

jeepsr4ever
03-17-2009, 12:41 PM
New balancer?

Bulltear Ad