PDA

View Full Version : No oil pressure

Bulltear Ad
Bulltear Ad

webejeepin
03-23-2009, 02:10 PM
OK, I have a 360 in a CJ and have always been holding around 30psi at idle hot and thats after installing a oil pump kit and new oil pickup tube about 500mi ago. The engine has around 2,000 mi on rebuild. After playing around the other day my engine started knocking and I realized I had 0 PSI. I need to replace the main and Cam bearings now. I tried repriming my current set up and it pumped back up to 15psi so I got pressure back. The pressure is low now due to the main bearings wore down to the copper. Anyway I have been reading alot on here about oiling and now I am lost. Would it be better to buy a stock oil pump cover and a mid plate seperate, or just buy the nickle plated oil pump cover and skip the mid plate. Either way it works out about the same price. I will buy your hand lapped gears to go with this. My tolerance on my gears to timing cover is .004.

jeepsr4ever
03-23-2009, 05:47 PM
Not sure either would be a good choice. Sounds like you need a different filter or you have a sticky oil pressure bypass.

webejeepin
03-23-2009, 06:26 PM
My oil filter bypass was stuck. The Nickel plated oil filter cover does away with this bypass correct.

webejeepin
03-24-2009, 11:32 AM
I am getting my parts list together. I am getting the nickel plated oil filter adaptor (to do away with the oil filter by pass) and the pump kit and probably the cam bearing set.

tufcj
03-24-2009, 12:51 PM
Was it the filter bypass (inside the filter mount area) or the pressure relief (7/8" nut on the side)?

The new cover will eliminate the filter bypass but not the relief valve. Make sure the plunger moves freely for the relief valve.

I run the nickel plated cover on my AMX along with the nickel filter adapter and also a mid-plate. I get 60-65 PSI hot above 1500 RPM, about 25-30 PSI hot idle.

Bob
tufcj

webejeepin
03-24-2009, 02:29 PM
It was the pressure relief valve that was stuck. Still don't know why I lost pressure.The engine Temp was around 190 and I got stuck in water up to my door. After being pulled out I had some water in my dist. cap and was playing around doing donuts and cruzing over some whoopty dues <=== butchered that, waiting for my cap to dry out. About 10 minutes later I was trying to figure out what that noise was then I realized I had 0 oil pressure. Cooked the main and rod bearings, and I am going to go ahead and replace the cam bearings. Don't know If I sucked the pan dry or the engine being hot and splashing in the water cracked something. Just replacing parts at this point.

webejeepin
03-25-2009, 06:48 AM
Leaning towards sucked the pan dry or cracked oil pickup tube. I reprimed using my original stuff and got 15 lbs with a dewalt 18V drill.

jeepsr4ever
03-25-2009, 12:50 PM
15lbs isnt much while priming :oops:

webejeepin
04-03-2009, 01:57 PM
I reprimed after lossing oil pressure to 0. Reprimed pump to see if I could even get oil pressure after reprimming. I got 15 lbs, but its low now because my bearings look like someone put them on a bench grinder. Did a number on my crank as well. Now I am in the process of rebuilding my engine. Looks like the everything else is OK. Going to buy new cam bearings and redue lower end. Motor only had around 5,000 mi on the last rebuild which was 5 yrs ago.

Bulltear Ad