PDA

View Full Version : oil splasher for cam gear

Bulltear Ad
Bulltear Ad

killahxft_jeep
03-24-2009, 08:42 AM
my cam gear just shit the bed..

http://i217.photobucket.com/albums/cc80/killahxft/IMG_0772.jpg

stripped all but a few teeth off the gear.. now should I bother in tapping into the oil galleys & run a restricted copper tube to keep pressure up but keep cool oil running on the gear?? is there any other option?? thanks.

OH yeah this was a bulltear matched set by the way.. with a nickel plated cover & HRC cut gears. setting up for a remote oil filter/cooler soon..

kris
03-24-2009, 10:12 AM
At the top of this forum is a post about distributor gear wear.
I suggest you read the thread before you do anything drastic.

You do not need the external line.

k.

73hornut
03-24-2009, 08:58 PM
Your timing set is probably blocking oil to the gears. Either notch on back of cam gear is off to cam hole, or excessive bleed off from too many notches on the front of the cam gear.

jeep_man_401
03-25-2009, 05:41 AM
Since you have it apart and will be replacing the Dissy gear, take the old dissy gear and finish grinding it down so you can install the dissy and spin the oil pump with a drill. When you assemble the front after checking the oil passages in the cam gear for alignment, look in the fuel pump hole and you HAVE to see oil coming out of the cam gear holes, if not, you need to take it apart and find the blockage otherwise you will have the same result.

ironman_gq
03-25-2009, 02:55 PM
I just use an old dizzy with no gear on it. what is the advantage of having a dummy gear on it?

jeep_man_401
03-26-2009, 12:14 AM
I don't know...maybe I was bored that day. lol :mrgreen:

Or to many Red Dogs... :razz: :razz:

killahxft_jeep
03-27-2009, 06:22 AM
Since you have it apart and will be replacing the Dissy gear, take the old dissy gear and finish grinding it down so you can install the dissy and spin the oil pump with a drill. When you assemble the front after checking the oil passages in the cam gear for alignment, look in the fuel pump hole and you HAVE to see oil coming out of the cam gear holes, if not, you need to take it apart and find the blockage otherwise you will have the same result.

where else could the oil be blocked from? the pump was doing fine 50-75PSI easily.. until gear died.. I can try & runn a pipe cleaner through the galley's and put some solvent through the system to try & clean out the gunk (if any) as bulltears website says it's still processing so I have a few days before I get parts here. been trying to find small pipe cleaners & a good carbon solvent... but other than "deep creep" I'm at a loss.. the pipe cleaners i can get at wally world... no so much worried about that..

tufcj
03-27-2009, 07:22 AM
There is an oil passage in the upper cam gear. It looks like a second keyway. The oil passes from the front cam bearing thru the slot and into the gear. A lot of them have casting flash blocking them. Just take a small file and clear the passage. The gear has several small holes betwenn the teeth that allow oil to pass thru.

Also, make sure the alignment dowels for the front cover are in place. If they are missing, the cover alignment can be off enough to chew up the gears.

Bob
tufcj

killahxft_jeep
03-28-2009, 12:42 PM
There is an oil passage in the upper cam gear. It looks like a second keyway. The oil passes from the front cam bearing thru the slot and into the gear. A lot of them have casting flash blocking them. Just take a small file and clear the passage. The gear has several small holes betwenn the teeth that allow oil to pass thru.

Also, make sure the alignment dowels for the front cover are in place. If they are missing, the cover alignment can be off enough to chew up the gears.

Bob
tufcj

I made sure the dowels were alright, I bought new tight fitting roll pins at the hardware store & tapped them in before tightening the timing cover on with a mallet. the holes int he gear I did'nt check but the keyway was aligned properly. since it only fit one way...

Im going through the cam & oiling passages/galleys monday after I get out of work in the morning. going to use some pipe cleaners & "WD-40", "Deep creep" to see if I can't free up the passages some more.

I have all the pipe/fittings to do the oil splasher should need arise.. but doubt I'll be able to make it work effectively. will probably bleed too much oil pressure.

ol' school power
03-29-2009, 09:14 AM
Im going through the cam & oiling passages/galleys monday after I get out of work in the morning. going to use some pipe cleaners & "WD-40", "Deep creep" to see if I can't free up the passages some more.

There's nothing to free up with spray lube.
The cam gear itself is most likely blocking the oil from getting to the gear.

ironman_gq
03-29-2009, 10:38 AM
use the brushes and some good solvent to remove any debris from the passages and make sure everything in the timing set lines up properly

killahxft_jeep
03-31-2009, 04:31 AM
use the brushes and some good solvent to remove any debris from the passages and make sure everything in the timing set lines up properly

I think I finally figured out why it might have lost pressure to the cam gear... the bolt/thick washer that bolts into the end of the cam had a bit of oil buildup that would have cause oil to leak out through it rather than let the oil out through theholes int he cam gear.. this time I'll put some RTV on the edge of the washer & make sure the holes are cleared out & make sure that the passages are clean...

ol' school power
03-31-2009, 06:36 PM
I wouldn't really use rtv on anything inside the engine especially to seal oil under pressure. Fix it right.
If you're not sure then check the washer for flatness with an oil stone or smooth sandpaper on a flat surface..

killahxft_jeep
04-02-2009, 12:42 PM
I might just do that... I have some flat plate glass & some 400-800-1000 grit sandpaper.. still waiting on the parts I ordered last monday.. seems 1 set of parts shipped yesterday & the other is set to ship tomorrow if it's going as it looks.. I should have it all to put together on monday (my day off mon - wed) going to also chase the threads in the cam to see if the bolt was stopped before it sealed the gear up..

Bulltear Ad