PDA

View Full Version : 258 engine build up questions

Bulltear Ad
Bulltear Ad

Freighttrain
03-27-2009, 05:15 PM
I was given a 1977 DJ5-F with a scattered 232 engine(Rods 2 and 3 decided they wanted a new cubicle with a view).
I bought a bare 258 block that has been bored .030 over,new cam bearings installed,decked,etc etc.Now is the time to figure out what to put in this block.
When doing a search I noticed a long snout and short snout crank.....which one will work?
Also rods and pistons.Don't want this to be a stock build up.I want to build something fun so strength is of concern.Want to bump the compression up but keep it so I can run pump gas even if that is 93 Octane.
As for the cam shaft I am thinking of going with an Isky cam with with the following Specs.We use their cams in our Dirt track car and they work better than anything else we have tried in the lil ol 2.3L Fords.

RPM-Range (2500-6500)
Valve Lift (.467 .467)
Valve Lash hot(.000 .000)
ADV. Duration (282 282)
.05 Duration (224 224) LC 109

How about heads....The block has 1/2" head bolt holes.If the 232 head is still good would be be worth reusing or should I go with a different year 258 head or just get a 4.0 head and work it over.......or lay out the dough and get one of the Clifford Blue Printed heads....
Exhaust and Intake are pretty much picked out.Clifford tube headers running true dual through flowmaster 40s with electric cut outs at the collector(for those times when you really wanna tick off the neighbors!).Intake I am seriously thinking 4BBL clifford with a small Holley 4BBL with vaccumn secondaries.
Lasty,is the accessories like water pump,Oil pump,etc.Which ones should I go with there.I know the I6 has had oil pump problems in the past(that is what I suspect happened to the 232 that is in the jeep now) so I want something that want fall on its face and scatter my engine.

Mudrat
03-27-2009, 05:52 PM
Well the guys down at the speed shop put a blower on a 232 for one of the Tides players (Norfolk baseball team) and it was a SCREAMING little motor!!! Not a lot of difference between it and the 258. Depends on what your wanting to do with it ... dirt track, circle track or "Jeeping" (not much on hard rock climbs unless you gear it pretty low). I'm seriously considering a the 4.0 FI swap on my daughters 258.

'Rat

Oh, yeah, welcome aboard :mrgreen:

Freighttrain
03-27-2009, 10:41 PM
Thanks.I am kinda new to all these spark plug thingy type engines.....I am an oil burner guy but have always liked the oddball vehicles.Pintos,Pacers,Vegas,Gremlins,Shoveits,Yug os etc.The plan is to build this lil thing into a toy to take to the drag strip on test and tune night,drive to work a couple days a week,take to car show,Punish those lil 4 banger Farter can cars......

ironman_gq
03-28-2009, 10:55 AM
there was a buildup in a magazine called the insane inline where they took a 4.0 and made a 4.6 stroker that made over 300hp. I think Golen did the engine work. look into a blower kit if you really want power. The 258 makes pretty good power in stock form but responds pretty well to the 4.0 head.

Freighttrain
03-29-2009, 01:07 AM
Thanks guys.Can someone tell me if I need the 2" snout or the 2 1/2" snout crank shaft for this build up or where I can find a ready to install old style heavy crank shaft?I want to buy one so I can install it next weekend.

Mudrat
03-29-2009, 04:59 AM
Well,
I have 2 - 258's sitt'n here my wife wants me to get rid of. both were running when pulled. One has about ~80K the other about 115K on them #-o

Bought a 4.2 from a guy doing and engine swap - built it and then swapped out the one in my daughters YJ. I got a 360 and built it and swapped the 4.2 outta my Heep. But Gadsden, AL is a fur piece to go to drop off a block :razz:

CJim7
03-30-2009, 05:42 PM
282 sounds like an awefull lot of duration :-| Probably workable with a lot of modification.

I personally endorse the 4.0 headswap. Short of milling the original head and installing larger chevy valves along with a P&P, high compression pistons, bottom end mods, and a cam, I think it is the one mod that makes the most difference on the 4.2.

I ran a 4.0 head, Clifford intake, 500cfm Edelbrock, high compression pistons, Comp cam, and TFI ignition in a 30 over block and had huge results. I dont recall the cam specs, but it wasnt much over a stock grind. This jeep ran like a V8.

Cant help with the crank snout lengths...but im thinking short. :-|

ironman_gq
03-30-2009, 09:58 PM
Im not sure but I think one was for the v-belt setup and one was for the serp setup but I'm probably wrong

CJim7
03-30-2009, 10:31 PM
Im not sure but I think one was for the v-belt setup and one was for the serp setup but I'm probably wrong
I dont think so....I swapped out v-belt for serp on my old 258 and it was a simple matter of changing pulleys.

I think the 4.0 cranks are shorter then the 258...seems to me i hear of people having to mill down the nose on them when they swap them into a 4.0 for a stroker build...cause they're too long.
I dont think that's relevant, but now im thinking the longer cam is probably the one you want for the 258. :-|

Mudrat
03-31-2009, 06:09 PM
I dont think so....I swapped out v-belt for serp on my old 258 and it was a simple matter of changing pulleys.

WHOA!!! You have a serpentine setup on your 258???

Do tell :shock: Either here, a new thread or heck, PM me with the sources!!! Looking for some more trick $hit for the straight 6 :mrgreen:

Bulltear Ad