PDA

View Full Version : New dipstick help..

Bulltear Ad
Bulltear Ad

dooghssr
03-30-2009, 04:45 PM
I have a 74 AMC 401 that the dip stick housing broke off at the block. Where can I get a new housing and how can
determine the correct one without pulling the pan. Can I determine the correct one by just measuring the dipstick itself?
I called Lokar and the want the measurement with a micrometer into the pan and length from block to header bolt.
I want to make this as easy as possible.

ironman_gq
03-30-2009, 04:46 PM
I think you can get them from chrysler.

kris
03-30-2009, 05:14 PM
http://www.bulltear.com/catalog/product_info.php?cPath=21_35&products_id=190

k.

BREK
03-30-2009, 06:36 PM
Yep buying one at bulltear is a much better idea than going thru chrysler. The ones directly from chrysler need a little work to make them fit whereas the ones from bulltear are a direct fit no bs part.

dooghssr
03-30-2009, 07:41 PM
do I have to drop the oil pan to install the Bulltear stick.

ironman_gq
03-30-2009, 09:56 PM
unless the old one came out in one piece and didnt snap off you could probably get by without dropping the pan otherwise you need to drop it to get the stub of the old one out

dooghssr
03-31-2009, 01:16 AM
It broke right at the flare above the block. I will see if I can get it out without dropping the pan. I just ordered the Bulltear.

jeepsr4ever
03-31-2009, 06:28 AM
You can use a sheetmetal screw to remove the oil tube.

dooghssr
03-31-2009, 04:10 PM
will the NEW SERPENTINE BELT KITS FOR AMC V8 give more clearance between the water pulley and radiator?

dooghssr
03-31-2009, 04:11 PM
when installing the new dipstick does it need to be at a certain angle for proper clearance and depth?

tufcj
03-31-2009, 04:45 PM
Install the new tube with the dipstick in it. The dipstick needs to go thru a hole in the baffle in the oil pan. Check that the dipstick goes in cleanly a couple of times before you tap it in that last 1/2".

Bob
tufcj

1980_Cj7
03-31-2009, 04:53 PM
There's a little bracket that goes under one of the valve cover bolts to secure the top end. Make sure you have that loosely bolted in place too. That also helps determine the position of the tube. We had to dress down the end that goes in the block a little to get it to fit in. It wasn't a Bulltear tube though. MC's probably don't even need any vaseline, ha, ha.

dooghssr
03-31-2009, 08:13 PM
Mine does not have the bracket by the valve cover. That is why it broke. It was loose and just bouncing around.

ol' school power
03-31-2009, 10:00 PM
will the NEW SERPENTINE BELT KITS FOR AMC V8 give more clearance between the water pulley and radiator?

The water pump shaft doesn't get shorter with a different pulley so the clearance stays the same.

1980_Cj7
04-01-2009, 06:36 AM
Mine does not have the bracket by the valve cover. That is why it broke. It was loose and just bouncing around.

The "bracket" is not part of the dipstick tube, it is a loose piece with a hole in it that the tube goes thru. You could probably make one very easily, just a short piece of flat bar stock, with 2 holes in it, one for the tube, and one for a valve cover bolt. I highly recommend using one so you don't end up breaking another tube.

dooghssr
04-10-2009, 03:58 PM
I got my new Bulltear dipstick and was able to remove the broken one. With the new one can it be installed with the exhaust manifolds still on. I am having a hard time figuring out which way the bends go. I know it fastens to the second manifold bolt from the rear facing forward but with the brake booster and manifold it doesn't seem like it want to go in the right way. Or maybe I don't know the right way.

Bulltear Ad