PDA

View Full Version : 360 start up had oil pressure now none

Bulltear Ad
Bulltear Ad

scurvy dog
04-26-2009, 05:56 PM
I got every thing on the beast and read every thing I could on a first start up. other than a little water from the rad. hose on top, not bad but turned motor over and started the cam break in procedure had 40+oil pressure than i heard a small valve tap. looked at oil pressure and there was none on the gage; pulled diss looked at the gears, no problems. primed oil pump one more time with key on and the wife said it got up to around 20.
Now this is what I have bought from bulltear. "Every Thing "

New timing chain double roller with gears.
timing cover with new oil pump and med plate combo
water pump flowKooler ect
New hei dist. with matched gears all most $2000 worth of stuff intake carb.ect
oil filter is a K&N
Any help would be so kind Thank you .Bob

jeepsr4ever
04-26-2009, 07:25 PM
I bet your oil filter doesnt have a anti-drainback valve in it. It should have a little rubber flap un the top to keep oil from draining back into the oil pan.

scurvy dog
04-26-2009, 07:38 PM
I used assembly lube to pack the oil pump and pre filled the oil filter.
kinda tricky not to spill the oil.

Started the engine again oil pressure went up a little then to 40+ I brought the rpms up to 2000 and just watched the oil pressure drop to nothing..... what the <>?*&^% is going on.
The 360 starts right up I have not dialed the timing in just yet I can tell she wants to go But not to i get that cam broke in and oil pressure up big time
Do you guys think I will need to reorder a new oil pump kit and re build it. The cost it nothing when one has so much time and money invested.

scurvy dog
04-26-2009, 07:45 PM
What oil filter would you use and is there a part number so I don't [four letter word up] every thing I hope I have not done any damage yet

jeepsr4ever
04-26-2009, 08:15 PM
F^%^$ Fram should work good! :mrgreen: Is the oil filter adaptor new? What your explaining sounds like a gasket issue. Do you have all the bolts in all the holes on the passenger side of the timing cover?

scurvy dog
04-26-2009, 08:36 PM
yes the oil pump adapter housing is new it came with the timing cover kit that i bought here. It came with the med plate, gaskets bypass adapter housing new spring valve ect.
Yes all the screws are in and I torque every thing down by the book no short cuts that's why it is taking me so long to do this build.
There is a small oil leak at the oil pan gasket up front. I tried to straighten the lip flat and re-ping the bolt holes.

yes this K&N hp-1007 has an anti drain back valve

ironman_gq
04-26-2009, 10:46 PM
make sure your pressure relief plunger isnt getting stuck, take it out clean it and put it back together. is it possible that you have a cracked pick up tube?

AMX69PHATTY
04-27-2009, 05:15 AM
Or maybe pickup to pan clearance, a spacer on the bottom of the pickup ?
Sorry, don't mean to but in. :oops:

scurvy dog
04-27-2009, 09:45 PM
Thanks for all the input guys, keep it coming.
To night when I got home I thought that I would do as Matt has suggested as well as others to check the spring and plunger.
That bad boy was stuck and would not come out.I tried to use a magnet no go, so I removed the oil pump adapter and filter went over to the work bench and tried with some good old hard taps up against my hand; still would not not come out! I tried the magnet trick again and she come out but was grabby not a smooth exit.So I cleaned it and oiled it still felt grabby.I tried the old oil pump adapter it was smooth as butter.So I reinstalled the old unit with the new med plate and gaskets;started right up with 65+oil pressure and it held up for cam brake in :t: then no oil pressure again :razz: :razz: :razz: the engine never got over heated and I still have not timed her yet so I stopped the engine waited a minute or two and re started the engine and I head a low end Knock,now wait it gets better(I mean in a bad way) the valve train sounds bad, really bad :razz: :razz: :razz: I'm going to wait to the week end to remove the oil pump adapter and check that spring and valve pin on more time

ironman_gq
04-28-2009, 08:26 AM
is it possible that during one of your no pressure moments you spun a bearing? That would cause your low end knock and if a cam bearing also went then you would have a lot a valve train noise too

Mcktiger74cj5
04-29-2009, 04:19 PM
all i can say is i feel yuor pain. it will get better. it will be two yrs. memorial day weeked. went to start my 360 and broke 4 pushrod in two places broke afew more and bent the rest.come to find out the valve reliefs were cut wrong.pull it out and had to start all of agian . she runs great now.stick with it. i no it sucks. good luck

tarior
05-01-2009, 11:46 PM
Sounds like the spacer came off the pickup, and it was "sucking up" against the pan.

Bulltear Ad