PDA

View Full Version : Brake problems

Bulltear Ad
Bulltear Ad

hohner0006
05-17-2009, 10:50 PM
Ok, I replaced the master cylinder on my cj7. Bench bled it and installed it. Started bleeding the brakes and got the front brakes done. Went to the rear brakes and cracked the line the first time..mostly fluid..pumped the brakes and cracked the line..bunch of air..pumped again and cracked the line..nothing! Brake pedal went completely to the floor like theres no fluid in it. Left it set for about 15 minutes while I pondered what was going on. Pushed on the brake pedal and it only moves a couple inches and feels solid....thought it was kinda odd so I rebleed the rear brake again..1 crack of the bleeder , get decent fluid pressure and the brake pedal goes to the floor with fluid coming out as it should. close the bleeder, let off the brake and try it again...pedal goes all the way to the floor!! Waited 15 minutes again and pushed on the pedal and its firm after a couple inches again!! I thought the master cyl was bad so I replaced it again...same result! fronts seem fine..rear has good pressure unless you bleed it...then crap again! I replaced the entire brake line for the rear brakes from master cyl back to the wheel cyl. Re-bled..same result!!
In a nutshell...bleed the front..good results and firm pedal...bleed the rears and no brake pressure and pedal goes to the floor. After it sets for a few minutes..the brake pressure is there! Problem 2 is that even with the firm feeling pedal the brakes aren't very good. What the hell am I missing??!!??
Another bad MC? Bad proportioning valve? All 4 wheel cylinders, shoes, etc and such for the brakes where put on new last year. Help!! I'm stumped!!

jeepsr4ever
05-18-2009, 03:19 AM
Sounds like the master is bleeding off pressure either through the oring in the bore or sometimes to have to push that little button back in on the proportioning valve.

hohner0006
05-18-2009, 07:55 AM
Can I bypass the proportioning valve? I do not street drive the jeep.

hohner0006
05-21-2009, 09:33 AM
Bypassed the proportrioning valve entirely...still no change...not sure where to go next to fix this issue....

Mudrat
05-21-2009, 06:45 PM
It's sounding like a master cyclinder issue. Check the FAQ from MP Brakes and see if there is something we all overlooked

http://www.mpbrakes.com/technical-support/reference.cfm

Bulltear Ad