PDA

View Full Version : Wrangler 401 Radiator

Bulltear Ad
Bulltear Ad

Brett Polwell
06-11-2009, 11:40 AM
I'm desperate. I am running an AMC 401 in a Wrangler. I have baddled over heating since I put this motor in. I currently have an aluminum radiator that I bought locally. It is only one core but I was told that is the biggest radiator that will fit in that Jeep. I put a black magic electric fan on it that has a built in shroud that perfectly fit the radiator. It is advertised to pull 3300 cfm. It would kind of keep it cool around town but going down the highway it would over heat.

So I put a flex fan and a clutch fan elminator that I found in a junk yard off of an amc car with air. This fan is moving alot of air when the rpms are up. It still runs warm but doesn't over heat going down the road but does get hot off road. I did have a very ugly home made shroud on it.

Last night I was makeing a new shroud to get better coverage of the whole radiator and managed to drill a whole through the very expensive aluminum radiator core.

I am running a 160 thermostat. The engine was new 2 years ago and has maybe 10,000 miles on it. I am running Howell Fuel injection and DUI dist, timing set per instructions. I have also installed louvers.

After all of that here is my question. Now I need a new radiator, again. Do I buy the same one and put the Flow Kool water pump in that I haven't had time to install, or is there anyone who is running a Wrangler with an AMC that has a better option for a radiator. I have looked at CJ7 radiators which are half the price at the Wranger's but I don't know if there is going to be room around the steering box, since it is som much wider. I was told it has twice th cooling capacity since it is 2 core aluminum.

Sorry for the long post but I wanted you guys to have all the info.

Thanks

jeepsr4ever
06-12-2009, 08:15 AM
Before doing all that I would install a high flow aluminum water pump

Brett Polwell
06-12-2009, 09:24 AM
Thanks for the reply.

I already have the hi flow water pump so that is going in.

I have to get a new radiator since I drilled a whole through the core of my old one. I just don't know what kind of radiator to get. Right now I am looking at 4wd hardware since they are having a sale this weekend. It is part number BEC60033. It is an aluminum cross flow from be cool, but I don't want it to work any worse then my old one. I also don't want to spend another $500 when someone else has a better alternative.

jeepsr4ever
06-12-2009, 11:38 AM
I would be looking at that Howell system. Add a oxygen sensor and it will tell you if its running lean.

Brett Polwell
06-12-2009, 12:49 PM
The howell system already has an oxygen and a map sensor. At this time it isn't throwing any codes.

Actually after I added the Howell System it started running a lot less hot. At least it took longer for the temp to get to 240.

tufcj
06-12-2009, 01:51 PM
I'm running a "Be Cool" in my CJ. It's a 2 row aluminum crossflow. Supposed to cool as well as a 4 row copper. I've never had a heating problem when rock crawling on the hottest days.

I have a 4 row copper in my AMX from www.extremeradiator.com . Never had a problem with my 450 HP 390, even in a couple of parades on hot days. They do a 3 row for high horsepower Wranglers.

Bob
tufcj

Bulltear Ad