PDA

View Full Version : STUDS!!!

Bulltear Ad
Bulltear Ad

Mudrat
07-12-2009, 06:14 PM
Having a b1tch of a time trying to find 9/16-18 standard studs 4" long, to clamp down my Hi-Steer arms :(:

fifesjeep
07-12-2009, 08:21 PM
What about Tidewater Fasteners? There are a couple Hardware Stores locally (Towards Ocean View) that have grade 8... 9/16" 18... I know they had 3 1/2"... I'll head out there tomorrow and see... If they do, you want me to grab 2 or 3?

Rich

Mudrat
07-14-2009, 05:04 AM
What about Tidewater Fasteners? There are a couple Hardware Stores locally (Towards Ocean View) that have grade 8... 9/16" 18... I know they had 3 1/2"... I'll head out there tomorrow and see... If they do, you want me to grab 2 or 3?

Rich

Didn't see them on their page on McMaster Carr or at B&S Bolts - York Bolt didn't have any either :smile: Need 8 for the Hi Steer :? Also looks like I'll have some time off - at home for a change - in Aug. Ready for a tranny swap??? I'll provide the beer and tools. The T-18 with 4:1 D300 and 4.56's should be pretty good. :lo1l: :t:

fifesjeep
07-14-2009, 12:36 PM
Just let me know about the swap... The Granny T18 is on the garage floor as well as the D20... Hopefully by then I'll have plates on the waggy... It needs some work but, it should be a fun drive over there... lol. I didn't get out to the hardware store... tomorrow I am heading over there... It's going to be an early day for me... :t:
My paperwork is in for leave... the end of this month and the beginning of August I should be free.

Mudrat
07-14-2009, 06:41 PM
Got hit today about 1100, I need to be in Mayport NLT 26 July for 21-25 days. So much for vacation time :smile: I have about 7 weeks on the books and no time to take it :razz: :razz: :razz:

Let me know what I owe you for the studs - Might could make 3.5's work, but I would rather have 4" to meet SUBSAFE requirements :idea: Call it a MILSPEC thing - the whole Jeep is that way!! Hey, if it works on the battle field, it should hold up well to the trails right?!?!?! :-|

fifesjeep
07-15-2009, 06:55 AM
Got hit today about 1100, I need to be in Mayport NLT 26 July for 21-25 days. So much for vacation time :smile: I have about 7 weeks on the books and no time to take it :razz: :razz: :razz:

Let me know what I owe you for the studs - Might could make 3.5's work, but I would rather have 4" to meet SUBSAFE requirements :idea: Call it a MILSPEC thing - the whole Jeep is that way!! Hey, if it works on the battle field, it should hold up well to the trails right?!?!?! :-|

Dang man... trust me, I understand that pain... lol. I have 51 days on the books... last year I lost 19 days :(: (I barely take leave unless it's an emergency so one would think I'd be able to... ha... ha... ha... I WISH!) This Optimal Manning crap needs to go... too many juniors with-out a clue or common sense (I'm sure you see it everyday with your job as you walk the p-ways/engine rooms etc)... #-o
I'll grab as many as I can... SUBSAFE (I'm getting flashbacks of SIMA)... :razz: Well, it's always better to build it stronger than what it will ever be needed for...

fifesjeep
07-16-2009, 07:51 PM
I hit the Hardware store... they had one 3 1/2" grade 8 bolt left (Looks like it was used on something)... I asked the old man if he had any more boxes in the back and he said no... He did say that he would order a few boxes... I told him I needed 10... :idea:
He told me to check back in a week or two... If you still want them I'll swing by weekly until they arrive...

Rich

Mudrat
07-17-2009, 07:10 PM
I hit the Hardware store... they had one 3 1/2" grade 8 bolt left (Looks like it was used on something)... I asked the old man if he had any more boxes in the back and he said no... He did say that he would order a few boxes... I told him I needed 10... :idea:
He told me to check back in a week or two... If you still want them I'll swing by weekly until they arrive...

Rich
Yea, I'm stuck without them :oops: :smile:

fifesjeep
07-17-2009, 08:44 PM
Sounds good man... I'll keep you posted, if I don't reply in a timely manner hit me up on the PM side.

Mudrat
07-19-2009, 05:05 AM
Will do. I gotta put the left front back on and roll the Jeep so I can finish the brakes on the right front.

Yesterday helped a dude do the Nutter and declutter the engine bay on his Scrambler. Need to work on mine today.

fifesjeep
07-19-2009, 08:01 AM
Nice... I'm cleaning the clutter from under the Waggy Hood... :shock: Initial preps for the 360/tranny/t-case swap...

Mudrat
07-20-2009, 03:06 PM
I'm still waiting for a T-18 :smile:

Any word on the studs? And we have (I) have a new problem - and it beats the crap out of me how it happend.

Screwed the studs in with anti-seize about half-way then did the double nut stud insertion. Trying to get them out required a pipe wrench and 2 of us on a 2-foot cheater. Needless to say the one we did yesterday has totally f*cked up the threads in the hub. Haven't done the last one yet and am sorta afraid too. Are helicoils OK to use on a steering knuckle or am I buying a new one? Never had this happen before! :smile: :-|

fifesjeep
07-21-2009, 12:10 PM
I'm still waiting for a T-18 :smile:
When do you want to meet up? You want the D20 with it right?

Any word on the studs?
Old man said that his "reliable asst. placed the order"

And we have (I) have a new problem - and it beats the crap out of me how it happend.

Screwed the studs in with anti-seize about half-way then did the double nut stud insertion. Trying to get them out required a pipe wrench and 2 of us on a 2-foot cheater. Needless to say the one we did yesterday has totally f*cked up the threads in the hub. Haven't done the last one yet and am sorta afraid too. Are helicoils OK to use on a steering knuckle or am I buying a new one? Never had this happen before! :smile: :-|
Are you sure it was anti-seize? and not industrial strength loctite :idea: lol. That sucks man... Can you post a pic of the carnage...
I'm not a fan of Helicraps... If you're looking for a quick fix that could be permanent I'd use KEENSERTS... these are WAY STRONGER than Helicraps are wont pull out when over torqued... Almost like subsafe (sorta) :t: We (I) might be able to weld fill/drill and tap etc... (machine if needed)

Let me know.

Up-Date:
Just got a call from the Hardware Store... they found (5) 9/16" 18 (4" long) Grade 8 bolts... they are $3.52 a pop...

Mudrat
07-21-2009, 02:33 PM
Are you sure it was anti-seize? and not industrial strength loctite :idea: lol. That sucks man... Can you post a pic of the carnage...
I'm not a fan of Helicraps... If you're looking for a quick fix that could be permanent I'd use KEENSERTS... these are WAY STRONGER than Helicraps are wont pull out when over torqued... Almost like subsafe (sorta) :t: We (I) might be able to weld fill/drill and tap etc... (machine if needed)

Let me know.

Up-Date:
Just got a call from the Hardware Store... they found (5) 9/16" 18 (4" long) Grade 8 bolts... they are $3.52 a pop...
I'll get pics - it's just the last 2 or 3 threads on the STUD that are Jose'ed. You are talking STUDS right - not bolts??

I leave Sun for another month remember - get up here on Fri/Sat and I'll provide the beer.

fifesjeep
07-21-2009, 03:40 PM
I'll get pics - You are talking STUDS right - not bolts??
Well $h!t, don't I feel like a jack-ass... :oops: STUDS... totally over looked that one... (my bad!)... #-o

I leave Sun for another month remember - get up here on Fri/Sat and I'll provide the beer.
:-| Send me your addy on the pm side (I know I have it someplace... chances are it's in the garage mixed with all of the AMC/Jeep/Chevy/Ford parts)... :?
Will you be over at Bunker Hill this week? I'll most likely leave work around 10:00/10:30 tomorrow... Let me know, If you'll be around I'll toss the tranny/D20 in the back of the Excursion.

Mudrat
07-22-2009, 03:41 AM
Will you be over at Bunker Hill this week? I'll most likely leave work around 10:00/10:30 tomorrow... Let me know, If you'll be around I'll toss the tranny/D20 in the back of the Excursion.
As a matter of fact, I'll be there Wed after 0900 or so and some of Thurs. I have a ship check on CVN-75 that will eat most of that day. Fri wil probably be in NewNews Shipyard and hopefully home early on Fri. :!:

Mudrat
07-24-2009, 04:20 PM
MC - I don't have permissions in this forum to split this thread to 'Suspension'

The sad knuckle story ...
Brand new Deadnbear knuckles :smile:
[click images for larger view]

P-side assembled OK - still need to install the caliper.
http://i275.photobucket.com/albums/jj282/mudrat54/85CJ/th_IMG_0245.jpg (http://s275.photobucket.com/albums/jj282/mudrat54/85CJ/?action=view&current=IMG_0245.jpg)

D-side assembled OK and WARN sent me new o-rings for the hubs (free :t: )
http://i275.photobucket.com/albums/jj282/mudrat54/85CJ/th_IMG_0254.jpg (http://s275.photobucket.com/albums/jj282/mudrat54/85CJ/?action=view&current=IMG_0254.jpg)

The damage ... #2 stud hole (from right) is ripped to shit!!!
http://i275.photobucket.com/albums/jj282/mudrat54/Knuckle%20damage/th_IMG00054.jpg (http://s275.photobucket.com/albums/jj282/mudrat54/Knuckle%20damage/?action=view&current=IMG00054.jpg)

Offending 4" stud (never to be used again) ... but I don't understand WHY? It threaded in with antisize about 1/2 way with my fingers. Then this sh!t happens when I go to pull it out? I was going to try the 3.4" studs I picked up ... now, I don't know if I want to pull that last stud out :(:
http://i275.photobucket.com/albums/jj282/mudrat54/Knuckle%20damage/th_IMG00050.jpg (http://s275.photobucket.com/albums/jj282/mudrat54/Knuckle%20damage/?action=view&current=IMG00050.jpg)

The last 2 threads in the stud did the damage, and if I chip the debris out of the lands, the stud would be fine, but the knuckle is still f&ck#d!! ...
http://i275.photobucket.com/albums/jj282/mudrat54/Knuckle%20damage/th_IMG00051.jpg (http://s275.photobucket.com/albums/jj282/mudrat54/Knuckle%20damage/?action=view&current=IMG00051.jpg)

Will the Kenserts fix this with a great degree of safety? Or, am I bound to spend another $290 for a frigg unused knuckle? :smile:

fifesjeep
07-24-2009, 09:00 PM
Check your PM... Or your email... $h!t, I can't remember which. :-| (Felt like going Ol' School and had some PBR) Damn headaches #-o
In Newport News (around the corner from you) there's a kick-a$$ place that I truly love... MSC Industrial Supply... these guys are awesome and have almost everything on hand... if you can think of it, chances are they have it or can get it...
Here is a link to the page... the one needed Should be at the top, click it and check it out... it's HD! :t:
http://www1.mscdirect.com/CGI/GSDRVSM?PACACHE=000000102801599
Here is what it looks like with specs
http://www1.mscdirect.com/CGI/NNSRIT?PMPXNO=2144693&PMT4NO=67642742

Edit:
Aanother thing about the Jergen inserts is that they have normal Keenserts and then they have the HD Keenserts... the second link shows the HD... both are strong but, the HD Keensert is a little thicker and I want to say you can have them heat treated as well... It's been a while... and I think the Pats Blue Ribbon gave me a splitting headache.. #-o Nothing like cheap beer to start the day feeling like crap... :!:

fifesjeep
07-25-2009, 04:34 PM
Mud,
It was good finally meeting up with you... That T18/D20 combo should serve you well... If you need anything else let me know...
I'll swing by in the morning before you roll-out and grab that Knuckle...

Rich

Mudrat
07-25-2009, 05:40 PM
Yeah, a face to a name :t: Hope your not too far into the dog house because of todays excursion.

Got the knuckle off and pressed out the ball joints to make it easier - still one stud there, I was afraid to pull it out :oops: Took a ride over to MSC before we met up and they are closed on Sat :smile: so if you have a source for them great!

Also to round out the day, got the boys truck inspected - had to change a licence plate light to 'pass inspection' (PITA on a mini-Blazer)!! Fed the cats, got the yard cut, weed-wacked and leaf blown, the bike washed and put away, and fixed the canvas in the portable garage. Oh yeah, filled my truck, the Jeep and the boys truck with gas, filled the bike a couple days ago :wink: (my 'good dad deed' for the day).

And that T-18 anin't light!! The way you slung it into the Jeep didn't think much about it till I went to get it out and put it away. SH!T that sumbitch is heavy (and leaks a little :mrgreen: ) Scrubbed the back of the Jeep out before the man-child took it to work.

Anyway, see you tomorrow - I bail at noon for the airport.

fifesjeep
07-25-2009, 10:17 PM
Yeah, a face to a name :t: Hope your not too far into the dog house because of todays excursion.
It was Definitely good to put a face with a name... The dog house wasn't/isn't too bad... She made her comments, lol... I went home took the front end off of the Waggy and she went to her sisters with the kids... :!: We gotta do that more often... today was the most productive day I had in months... :?

Got the knuckle off and pressed out the ball joints to make it easier - still one stud there, I was afraid to pull it out :oops: Took a ride over to MSC before we met up and they are closed on Sat :smile: so if you have a source for them great!
Do you want me to remove that stud or leave it alone?

Also to round out the day, got the boys truck inspected - had to change a licence plate light to 'pass inspection' (PITA on a mini-Blazer)!! Fed the cats, got the yard cut, weed-wacked and leaf blown, the bike washed and put away, and fixed the canvas in the portable garage. Oh yeah, filled my truck, the Jeep and the boys truck with gas, filled the bike a couple days ago :wink: (my 'good dad deed' for the day).
Just when I thought I had a productive day... lol. Sounds like you stayed busy most of the day...

And that T-18 anin't light!! The way you slung it into the Jeep didn't think much about it till I went to get it out and put it away. SH!T that sumbitch is heavy (and leaks a little :mrgreen: ) Scrubbed the back of the Jeep out before the man-child took it to work.
Yeah she has a little weight... 150lbs (give or take). I had to take it easy because I have a "twinge" in my lower left lumbar... I slept on my stomach the other day... (first time since my bi-lateral hernia surgery)... :shock: I won't be laying on my stomach again that's for sure... Man, I can't wait to start lifting weights again just so I can get my size and strength back...
As for the T18... The top cover needs to be removed and re-sealed with RTV... possibly the pto cover as-well :-| I can't remember if I opened that up...

Anyway, see you tomorrow - I bail at noon for the airport.
Yeah man, I have the alarm set... I should be up there by 0945-ish...

Rich

Mudrat
07-26-2009, 05:03 AM
Do you want me to remove that stud or leave it alone?
I left it there as a witness pin for you. I would feel better if it were pulled and made sure the anti-size actually did it's job. As you can see by the first stud, it took two of us with a cheater and pipe wrench when it was installed on the Jeep. Can't get any torque on it now :-| If it chews the threads, then a second Kensert would be in order :oops:

Yeah man, I have the alarm set... I should be up there by 0945-ish...
Rich
Well as you can see, I'm up :? Gotta finish packing :oops:

ironman_gq
08-10-2009, 03:19 PM
I wouldnt use helicoils I would weld and have it remachined at a minimum

Mudrat
08-10-2009, 05:45 PM
Looks like somebody 'Had the power' to split this thread :t:

Still have a problem though:

"TOOLS!
Moderators: None"

Dave? MC?? :idea:

juggernaught
05-15-2010, 09:08 PM
Anti-sieze is great, but no substitute for chasing threads with a tap first.............

Mudrat
05-16-2010, 06:06 AM
Did that and used anti-seize, still happened, don't know why. The Kenserts seem to be doing their job though.

juggernaught
05-16-2010, 09:42 AM
Sometimes stating the obvious obvious doesn't work. Are you sure the threads weren't metric by accident? Either that or the original threads were degraded by the heat,corrosion or the removal of the original stud (which could have been slightly incorrect).

Mudrat
05-17-2010, 06:20 PM
6 of 8 were good. Only 2 of 4 on the one knuckle were hosed. And I chsed the threads with a standard 9/16 die first, that was the confusing part. I didn't chases the studs because they *looked* good.

Oh well . . . :-|

Bulltear Ad