PDA

View Full Version : Flywheels

Bulltear Ad
Bulltear Ad

Rogue Racer
07-26-2009, 06:28 AM
How about aluminum (or steel) flywheels that are bolt ins with the correct balancing? McLeod seems to be the only people who even try to supply them and since they have been bought, sold, bought, sold and reclaimed, their stuff is really $$$.

jeepsr4ever
07-26-2009, 08:37 AM
:-|

fifesjeep
07-26-2009, 09:22 AM
That's not a bad idea... Just get the rings, cut the centers press weld and balance.. cha-ching...

tufcj
07-26-2009, 02:12 PM
The trouble is is that there is no "correct balancing". OEM stuff was generically balanced based on the average weight of crank, rods, and pistons.

Once you change any of the components, the factory balance will be off. Even a generically balanced piece would have to be balanced to match the parts the motor is built with.

Bob
tufcj

Rogue Racer
07-26-2009, 02:32 PM
OEM stuff was generically balanced based on the average weight of crank, rods, and pistons.

Close enough. If the factory could sell replacement flywheels over the counter that could be bolted on and go, it can still be done. The are thousands of flywheels sold every year for Chevrolets, Fords, MoPars and every other make for engines that are not neutral balanced and they work. Engine balancing is compromised on averages anyway.

Dusty
07-27-2009, 02:57 PM
there are chinese cheapo flywheels on ebay from time to time for $125 but i'd sure lit to see a quality steel flywheel some day

SuperStockAMX
09-07-2014, 11:56 PM
Advanced Clutches sells race clutch and aluminum SFI certified AMC flywheels see www.advancedclutches.com
Everything is in house designed and built; just like Bulltear! Check out their life-weight flywheel. My dual 7" sundered-iron race cluch, flywheel & pressure plate weighs just shy of 20#'s.
I believe your looking at around $750 for flywheel only. Call them and ask if they can make you a heavier and not nearly as trick AMC flywheel for less money. I believe McLeod is about the same price and it's just a standard aluminum flywheel.

Bulltear Ad