PDA

View Full Version : No section for tools :oops:

Bulltear Ad
Bulltear Ad

Mudrat
08-01-2009, 04:57 PM
The time has come to earnestly look for a plasma cutter so I'm looking for recommendations.

SOMEBODY mentioned they would get me some info on them (prices) but now I'm looking to give myself a b-day present.

Understanding the basics and having used industrial strength shop machines and a Hobart Airforce 250A on the ship (on-board air and still 'fairly' portable), I'm looking for something that will do both 110 & 220V I can move myself and maybe load up on the trailer for road work (or off road). The 110 side for the 3/8 size plate and 220 for 1/2". I have an air compressor so not real worried about 'on-board air' - but then again I can't load a 60 gallon compressor on the trailer :-|

Contact tip is a definate plus :t:

tufcj
08-02-2009, 07:51 AM
I have a Hypertherm Powermax 350. It is 110/220, it won't work to full potential at 110. At 220, it will cut 3/8", sever to 1/2". It's pretty compact, about the same size as my Miller 135 wire feed. It does need an external air supply, but my 3HP, 30 gallon compressor keeps up fine.

Don't know what one costs new, I got this one used thru my brother-in-law's welding shop for about $250 (he took it in as a trade-in).

Definitely a fun and useful little tool to have.

Bob
tufcj

Mudrat
08-02-2009, 09:56 AM
Thanks Bob, that's the kind of info I was looking for and one of the candidates I was looking at last night. :t:

Need to see if your Bro in Law can get another deal like that. New cost for the 350 is $1125 :shock:

I was also looking at the Miller 375 (http://www.weldingsuppliesfromioc.com/servlet/the-1868/MILLER-SPECTRUM-375-X-dsh-TREME/Detail). The carry case is $50 and included in this deal, but no accessories like tips :oops: The ICE-27T accessory kit is $86 :smile:

ironman_gq
08-05-2009, 09:03 PM
Ive got the Miller 375 extreme and I love it. weighs 18lbs can run on 110 or 220 and is rated at 3/8" steel but will cut up to 5/8 according to miller.

ironman_gq
08-05-2009, 09:06 PM
I also got mine at cost from the local AirGas cause it was used as a loaner for 2 weeks but it still has full warranty and came with a couple extra tips, case and electrodes. Im all in for $1100 a new one is listing at about 1300 from the local place

Mudrat
08-06-2009, 05:27 AM
Thanks all
I'm leary about gett'n a dog from Craigs list and certainly watchful for any 'deals' on E-Bay (and the price for the X-treme was $300 more than the Welders supply place the other day). :shock: //E-bay, Be-ware?//

But I'm looking.
New, with free shipping, is $1145 from Indiana Oxygen (http://www.weldingsuppliesfromioc.com/servlet/the-1868/MILLER-SPECTRUM-375-X-dsh-TREME/Detail)

jeepsr4ever
08-06-2009, 07:52 AM
Go Thermal Dynamics the consumables are cheaper than Hypertherm and much much cheaper than Miller.

fifesjeep
08-06-2009, 10:11 AM
Go Thermal Dynamics the consumables are cheaper than Hypertherm and much much cheaper than Miller.

That's good info right there... (time for a beer break)... :razz:

Mudrat
08-08-2009, 08:34 AM
So you get deals from them? :idea:
The "Cutmaster 39" is twice the weight of the miller and 10lb more than Hypertherm. :shock:

Is the 1/4" recommendation at 110 or 220V ? Reading up on them more now, just in case.

EDIT:
From now until September 30th, purchase select Cutmaster (http://store.cyberweld.com/thdymopuwipl.html) plasma cutter models (MDL 52 or bigger), and receive a MAIL-IN REBATE FORM FOR A FREE Victor Journeyman Select welding and cutting outfit OR A FREE American Eagle auto-darkening welding helmet.

ironman_gq
08-08-2009, 08:56 PM
We had a Thermal Dynamics and it worked great for about 3 months then we had a lot of problems but I hear they make a good product. I think that Hypertherm makes the best units but I couldnt pass on the Miller and I dont like ordering things like that online because of the waiting if you have to deal with warranty work where as a local place can take care of it now

Mudrat
08-09-2009, 09:31 AM
Good point on the local shop warranty service, but there's also about $300 difference in price :shock:

fifesjeep
08-09-2009, 10:16 AM
Good point on the local shop warranty service, but there's also about $300 difference in price :shock:

And that's why you make the big bucks.... 8) :!: :?

Mudrat
08-09-2009, 11:07 AM
And that's why you make the big bucks.... 8) :!: :?
I wish - I still don't make what I did when I was still in the Navy :oops: 'Course, I did have 30 years "senority" then #-o

fifesjeep
08-09-2009, 12:35 PM
:mrgreen:

ironman_gq
08-10-2009, 03:20 PM
I rather pay extra and support a local business and have parts and warranty work minutes away instead of days or weeks cause if something dies and I need it I need it now or Im SOL and dead in the water on my project

Mudrat
08-11-2009, 06:22 PM
Yeah, I know. I just hate pay'n the SOBs there 'cause their, 'Just not friendly' on prices. . . I'm think'n they work on commission since they always try and sell the bigger version or try and get you to buy the bigger gas bottle (I own all of mine). And with this economy, 2 kids in college, and a boy friend almost living at my house (food, water, lodging), I'm tapped. Maybe 'want' is overcoming 'need'??

I rather pay extra and support a local business and have parts and warranty work minutes away instead of days or weeks cause if something dies and I need it I need it now or Im SOL and dead in the water on my project

ironman_gq
08-11-2009, 09:05 PM
i know what you mean. I would get either the hypertherm or the Miller I havent had good luck with the ThermalDynamics. Lincoln might also be another one to check out

Bulltear Ad