PDA

View Full Version : I want more poower!

Bulltear Ad
Bulltear Ad

rockjeep
08-03-2009, 03:55 AM
I've got a 360 with 9.5:1 forged pistons, melling rv cam, stock setup heads, edlebrock shorty headers, perfromer intake, chevy 350 tbi.
I'm guessing about 300hp, I'd like to be closer to 350hp-400hp.
What are my best options for obtaining that kind of hp?
Stroker? New heads? New fuel delivery setup? what?
I'm running 5.38's, 4:1, and 44" tires.
I'd like to keep my motor's internals the same, With a stroker setup, I'm sure I'd have to change the crank, rods, and have some machine work done, but is it likely I can keep the same pistons?
Thanks,
Bobby

tufcj
08-03-2009, 06:26 AM
What are you using it for? Crawling, Bogging? What casting # heads are you running?

The RV cam is probably holding you back. I'd go with a bigger cam. AMC engines like to breathe. I'd shave the heads a bit (maybe .020-.030), port/polish/gasket match and 3-5 angle valve job. Depending on who did your TBI, you may be able to adapt a larger 4BBL Holley throttle body. Even the best 2BBL GM TBI units only flow about 550 CFM. If you keep the GM TBI, make sure the adapter plate ports flow smoothly into the intake, most don't line up very well.

I built the 360 in my CJ for max torque just off idle since I rock crawl. It will sit and spin all 4 tires at idle if it can't find traction, but it falls on it's face over 4500 RPM. How often does it rev that high when crawling? next to never.

Bob
tufcj

rockjeep
08-03-2009, 09:05 PM
Rockcrawling and rock assualts. I've got plenty of gear for low end crawling. I want the hp for hitting big hills, and launching up rock ledges. i.e. wanna do a wheelie type launches

fifesjeep
08-03-2009, 10:41 PM
Rockcrawling and rock assualts. I've got plenty of gear for low end crawling. I want the hp for hitting big hills, and launching up rock ledges. i.e. wanna do a wheelie type launches
Better keep your oil in check... sounds like you'll be flooding the heads and starving the engine in no time... What tranny are you running?
I agree with going with a bigger cam... That TBI might be choking the engine a little, if you want more HP and plan on keeping the TBI I'd say it'll definitely choke the motor (Could be be wrong, If I am... somebody will chime in with good info)... :idea:

rockjeep
08-04-2009, 04:26 AM
I'm completely up to getting rid of the stocks style tbi, I like the edlebrock multiport setup but way to much money. I was thinking either propane or a holley efi type setup. Is there an engine calculator setup for amc motors anywhere so I can get some ruff estimates?
Thanks,
Bobby

Bulltear Ad