PDA

View Full Version : v-8 rubber oil pan gasket

Bulltear Ad
Bulltear Ad

juggernaught
09-05-2009, 10:27 AM
Can anyone help me find a vendor for an rubber-with-steel-core oil pan gasket for a '74 amc 360 motor. So far, I have been shipped two gaskets, both incorrect. This has put me behind in my rebuild completion. I do not yet even know if someone makes a steel-rubber v-8 gasket. Any help would be greatly appreciated as I am running out of time before I have to travel out of area.

tufcj
09-05-2009, 10:36 AM
Not made that I'm aware of..... Just the rubber end gaskets with cork side gaskets. MC looked into having them made, but the cost of tooling up was phenomenal.

I haven't had problems with pan gaskets leaking if installed correctly. A VERY thin layer of RTV on both sides of the rubber (I like Permatex Ultra gray). Install the cork with just a few dabs of trim adhesive on the block side to hold it in place and a dab of RTV where the cork and rubber meet. DO NOT over tighten the bolts, just enough to see the cork start to flatten.

MAke sure the flange and bolt holes on the pan are straight. If the bolt holes are pulled from over tightening, hammer them back flat.

Let us know if you do find a one piece rubber gasket.

Bob
tufcj

juggernaught
09-05-2009, 11:14 AM
Thanks for the quick response! If I do find one I will let you know for sure. May be someone needs to call fel-pro?

jeepsr4ever
09-05-2009, 09:22 PM
No one makes one currently. That could change BUT it would take a large mold. Rubber is funky and has some strange shrink to it but it isnt hard to design with the right software. We have the CNCs to make the tooling for just about anything but we are swamped with AMC stuff so unless we get slow or something changes :idea:

Mudrat
09-07-2009, 07:33 AM
No one makes one currently. That could change BUT it would take a large mold. Rubber is funky and has some strange shrink to it but it isnt hard to design with the right software. We have the CNCs to make the tooling for just about anything but we are swamped with AMC stuff so unless we get slow or something changes :idea:
You'd better not get slow!!! You've got a pile of heads to port and send 8)

jeepsr4ever
09-09-2009, 08:38 AM
For sure!

Bulltear Ad