PDA

View Full Version : Carb fires

Bulltear Ad
Bulltear Ad

Fkidd
09-20-2009, 09:52 PM
I have been struggling getting my 360 running in my Javelin but finally got it fired today and broken in. My problem is that it won't idle now and when it stalls I can hear and smell gas running into the secondarys. I have a brand new Edelbrock Thunder Series 650 that unfortunately went through some bad backfires because I had the timing screwed up.

My question is; Have these backfires and subsequent fires (which I had to smother with a rag about 10 times today when I was trying to get it to idle) affected anything in my new carb? After all I went through and the money I spent to get this car running I am not against buying another carb. Or do I just need to check the float and/or get a fuel pressure regulator?

Any advice will be much appreciated.

ironman_gq
09-21-2009, 07:28 AM
check the needles to see if they are sealing properly then the floats and fuel pressure. Unless it burned for a while I cant see the carb body getting hot enough to cause problems. I would say your floats are off or your needle isnt sealing and letting extra fuel into the bowl

Mudrat
09-21-2009, 06:01 PM
Or the power valve. A back fire may have torn the rubber diaphragm.

fifesjeep
09-22-2009, 06:30 AM

I don't think the Eddies have a power valve :-|

I'd check the needle/seats and the floats... if you have too much pressure you might have to re-adjust the floats. Are you running a return line to the tank?... Also, insure the timing is correct using a timing light... it doesn't hurt to toss a vacuum ga. on for quick reference. :idea:

Mudrat
09-25-2009, 04:04 PM

I don't think the Eddies have a power valve :-|

I'd check the needle/seats and the floats... if you have too much pressure you might have to re-adjust the floats. Are you running a return line to the tank?... Also, insure the timing is correct using a timing light... it doesn't hurt to toss a vacuum ga. on for quick reference. :idea:
He said it was an Eddelbrock? OH YEAH, I see that now :oops:

Bulltear Ad