PDA

View Full Version : Hypertherm 1250 not firing from Mach

Bulltear Ad
Bulltear Ad

Brian1
12-11-2009, 01:02 AM
Got everything wired up in my Hypertherm 1250 according to the diagram in the Candcnc manual for the 1250 model. I am still learning to use the mach interface but I am not able to fire the torch manually from the software. The DTHC online is lit green on the screen but pressing the manual fire doesnt work. What am I missing? I do hear a click coming from inside the 1250 case but get nothing else.

jeepsr4ever
12-11-2009, 09:46 AM
Your torch switch should be hooked up the the DTHC card. Can you get the unit to fire by hand? Sometimes its the plasma consumbles (torch ignitor) that fails due to consumable life and water in the line. Check for

2. Wiring on the DTHC card

Verify with the digital manual that all leads are in the right spot
Your DB9 cable is plugged in

1. On the plasma unit

You can fire the unit by hand and it does indeed make contact in the head and fire the plasma torch.

Chances are you dont have the switch wired to the card correctly.

Brian1
12-11-2009, 10:43 AM
Yes it does fire by hand. I double checked the card when I hooked it up but I will look again. The DB9 cable is hooked up because I can hear a click inside the hypertherm case when i press the torch fire button on the screen. I am going to mess with it today and see if I can get it working

ironman_gq
12-11-2009, 10:52 AM
when you hear the click does the air flow start? If you have no air flow you get no fire.

Brian1
12-11-2009, 01:56 PM
No air flows when I hear the click but the air is hooked up with pressure and when I pull the trigger on the torch manually the air comes out as well as the arc.

jeepsr4ever
12-11-2009, 02:01 PM
Check the output signals in the ports and pins menu in the config menu, output #1. It should be Port 2 Pin 1 to fire the torch.

Brian1
12-11-2009, 02:22 PM
I will do that in a minute.

I think it has something to do with the hand torch being used and the actual Hypertherm circuitry. Right now the torch switch is wired to the board inside the plasma. I just looked at the Hypertherm manual and it said it is disabled when using the hand torch. Do I need to splice into the switch wires coming out of the hand torch and not use the connections on the board? Im thinking that is probably it.

jeepsr4ever
12-11-2009, 02:46 PM
I think you should call Hypertherm tech 1-800-643-9878 I do believe this could be an issue if the DTHC is hooked up you should not be able to fire the torch usingthe handle.

wingnut165
07-15-2010, 09:42 PM
so what did you ever figure out? I have the same thing going on! :-|

Brian1
07-15-2010, 09:52 PM
I fixed it by splicing into the trigger wires for the hand torch right after it enters the case. The safety built into it does not allow the trigger to be turned on from the board with the hand torch installed. I originally installed my trigger wires onto the plasma board which is why it was not firing.

Now if I could just figure out why the arc ok signal is not working/sticking I will be in good shape and finally cut some steel.

jeepsr4ever
07-16-2010, 11:47 AM
Bryan what power resistor are you using across the terminals of your current transformer? Also do you have the ark ok wires hooked from the current T-former to the right terminals on the DTHC card?

Brian1
07-16-2010, 11:56 AM
I am using the direct connections inside the case on the board and not using a current transformer hookup.

I have narrowed it down to the plasma cutter itself because it does the same thing when it is being used as a stand-alone plasma cutter and not hooked to the CNC. I just havent had the time to sit down with it and give Hypertherm a call to troubleshoot it.

jeepsr4ever
07-16-2010, 12:01 PM
Well if you like I can send you a CT for free and get you up and running right away. They are pretty easy to install.

Brian1
07-16-2010, 10:14 PM
Sure I will give it a try. Let me know what I need to do to get it, thanks.

jeepsr4ever
07-17-2010, 12:27 PM
Just need your shipping address again and I will get you one out.

jimcolt
07-17-2010, 04:07 PM
Brian, Pins 12 and 14 on the rear panel connector on the powermax unit are the arc transfered signal. When the arc transfers to a piece of metal with the work clamp attached, you will see this signal go from open, to closed. You do not need a current transformer with this unit.

Jim Colt Hypertherm

I see you figured out the start input. If you use the machine torch, the start input on the rear panel connector (pins 3 and 4) is functional, short 3 to 4 and the torch will fire. If you are using a hand torch....pins 3 and 4 are inactive for safety reasons.

jeepsr4ever
07-18-2010, 10:15 AM
Ah, so your not firing but you do have everything else hooked up right? You will have to find the two leads that fire the torch that actually hook to the torch lead not the machine torch lead. Hypertherm turns off the machine torch on and off for liability however they also do not tell you how to bypass this for CNC use. There should be a plug that has many wires hooked to it (This is J19) but Hypertherm may have disable it for use with the hand torch. But there are two more leads leading to the hand torch you can use.

Brian1
07-18-2010, 10:30 AM
No, everything is hooked up and it does fire. My problem is the arc will not stay on, it goes out after a few seconds. The arc-ok relay or whatever it is inside the plasma is bad or sticking. sometimes it works and most of the time it does not. This hapens both on the CNC and if I am just using the machine by itself.

jeepsr4ever
07-18-2010, 05:03 PM
I have seen lots of hypertherm torches misfire when the outer cap isnt all the way on or cross threaded as well. They fire then stop or just blow air. Hypertherm uses a microswitch to ensure the consumables are attached before it will fire. I can still send you that Current Transformer if you like and if you dont want to get your plasma warranteed.

Brian1
07-18-2010, 05:12 PM
Let me mess with it a little more and if I still need the CT i will let you know, thanks.

jeepsr4ever
07-19-2010, 12:00 PM
Just so you know here is where the torch leads are coming out and here is the current transformer hooked up. The leads to the DTHC card are black going into the J8 plug.

http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y29/bulltear/BTAplasma005.jpg

jeepsr4ever
07-19-2010, 12:02 PM
10W15Ohm resistor across the current transformer only requires the wire go through once. We used a 10W20ohm resistor and went twice for this application.

wingnut165
07-19-2010, 02:21 PM
Brian where the wires you spliced into rigth of the torch purple and orange? ....think Im about ready to trad this thing in on a thermal dynamics![/quote]

jimcolt
07-19-2010, 03:21 PM
Brian,

When you say you "fire the torch and it goes out after a few seconds" , are you firing the torch on to a plate with the work ground attached......or are you firing it in the air? If you are firing it in the air....the torch will shut off after about 1.5 seconds as it is not sensing a work ground current path. If you are looking for an arc good signal, it will only ocurr when the arc is cutting metal with the work ground clamp attached.

Also, I will say it again...there is no need for a "current transformer" on the Powermax unit you are using. It will provide you a contact closure output as soon as the arc transfers to the plate, on pins 12 and 14 on the rear panel connector. The Powermax1000, 1250 and 1650 as well as the Powermax45 all have this "arc transferred" (also know as arc good) signal...and are designed for an easy interface to any cutting machine. You are making things way too complicated by adding the current transformer.

Jim Colt Hypertherm

Brian1
07-19-2010, 04:00 PM
Jim, it is being fired on top of the plate ready to cut with the ground hooked up directly. I have put the meter on the 2 pins inside the case that are for the arc ok signal and they are not changing once the trigger is pulled.

As far as the micro switch for the consumables causing it, that could be, but I have checked the order in which I have installed them and it all fits together correctly.

jimcolt
07-19-2010, 04:07 PM
So....work cable connected to plate, fire the torch directly on the plate...

1. What thickness plate? If really thin the torch may just be blowing a large hole, then losing its arc. Try using material at least 1/4" thick. If the arc still goes out in a couple of seconds....then there is an error of some sort with the plasma system that is causing it to fire a pilot arc then, not sensing arc transfer it will shut down. I don't think it has anything to do with the microswitch in the torch...rather, it could be an inadequate air flow rate, or other fault.

2. What pins are you on inside the case? The arc transfer (arc good) is not inside the case, rather they are pins 12 and 14 on the rear panel interface plug.

Brian1
07-19-2010, 07:42 PM
1 - I was trying it mostly on 16 or 18 ga.

2 - I am using the screw terminal block on the board that the rear plug tied into, on the 2 arc xfer screws.

Bulltear Ad