PDA

View Full Version : What rods should I run and other ?'s

Bulltear Ad
Bulltear Ad

retrorod
02-26-2010, 12:24 PM
Well the endless task of figuring out my 401 build goes on. My question is will I be able to use stock rods on my build or should I be looking toward some H-beam rods, and while I am asking questions I would like to get some opinions on what heads I should run? Do you think that I could go higher in comp. ratio since my boost will not be over 8 lbs and thats on a good day. The more I look in to the comp. ratio the more I think that I could go higher like in the 9's.

I am currently looking to run around 8 to 8.5.1 comp. bull tear forged pistons with all the ARP goods on the engine, and I will have a Paxton SN-93 supercharger with 6-8 lb of boost, and a torker intake with a (guessing) 850 blow through holly carb. I have yet to pick a cam yet. I am also planing on running water/methanol injection to help out octane and heat.

Any feed back would be greatly appreciated! :t:

Thanks

Collin

retrorod
02-27-2010, 03:00 PM
MC, fuzz401, Blown7 do you guys have any ideas or info for me? Anyone else? :-|

jeepsr4ever
03-01-2010, 07:06 AM
If you go CHEAP aftermarket rod you will have to run the full floating rod with the bushing. The press fits rod have a horrible tolerance. Their are good USA made rods but they dont give them away. The stock rods should be able to handle quite a bit of HP and TQ but they need to be checked. Sounds like a fun project.

jeepsr4ever
03-02-2010, 09:05 PM
test

tufcj
03-03-2010, 09:00 AM
The 401 rods are forged. I've heard the stock rods, when cleaned, magnafluxed, and shot peened are good for 600-700 HP. I think that would be the range you'll be in.

If you're going over that, then I'd think about 6" chevy rods and custom pistons.

Bob
tufcj

retrorod
03-04-2010, 09:58 PM
Thanks Bob, thats what I thought also, I just have to convince my machinist of this he is pretty adamant that I run h beams. Its always easier to tell people that when its not there money. He is also very anti forum he hates hearing other peoples opinions on what should be done. I am not going to short change the guy as he builds lots of race engines in the area. Do you have any ideas on my heads for me? Any input would be helpful as I have not gotten much response . I have 502 heads and was wondering if it would be worth going through them and tricking them out or looking towards some Eddies ? Thanks again Bob! :t: :razz:

Cheers

Collin

retrorod
03-04-2010, 10:02 PM
Hey MC do you have 40 over forged pistons, or is it just 30 or 60 ?

Thanks

Collin

fuzz401
03-05-2010, 06:01 AM
I am runing the factory rods shifting around 6000 - 6500 rpm
balanced / polished rods with ARP bolts - just get them to flycut the cap were the nuts go to make it flat and use the ARP lube - I am also running bushed rod ends for free floating pistons

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v31/fuzzcj7/Picture011.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v31/fuzzcj7/Picture012.jpg

jeepsr4ever
03-05-2010, 07:11 AM
Hey MC do you have 40 over forged pistons, or is it just 30 or 60 ?

Thanks

Collin

We can do .040 no problem...giv a shout 651-257-7917

retrorod
03-05-2010, 10:59 AM
I am runing the factory rods shifting around 6000 - 6500 rpm
balanced / polished rods with ARP bolts - just get them to flycut the cap were the nuts go to make it flat and use the ARP lube - I am also running bushed rod ends for free floating pistons
Thanks fuzz for the info! I am going to go that route for sure, where did you get the bushings or did your machine shop supply them?

We can do .040 no problem...giv a shout 651-257-7917

No prob. MC we will be in touch for sure, I just need to figure out that is the bore size I need. I also have a list of other things to get from you also.
The 401 was gone through not to long before I picked it up and it is currently 30 over. I am hoping I can get away with a hone, but I am covering all bases. :t:

Thanks

Collin

fuzz401
03-05-2010, 11:24 AM
machine shop got them for the AMC pin

retrorod
03-05-2010, 06:13 PM
Sounds good fuzz :t: On a even better note on my machine shop hell, I found a new machinist today and this one is gold! This guy builds AMC engines for sand and mud drags along with street cars, and he is less money than the first guy! :!:

Hey MC, what is a good time to give you a call? I would like to ask you a couple of questions on head porting.

Cheers!

Collin :razz:

jeepsr4ever
03-05-2010, 06:27 PM
Sounds good fuzz :t: On a even better note on my machine shop hell, I found a new machinist today and this one is gold! This guy builds AMC engines for sand and mud drags along with street cars, and he is less money than the first guy! :!:

Hey MC, what is a good time to give you a call? I would like to ask you a couple of questions on head porting.

Cheers!

Collin :razz:

Collin, any friggen time! 651-257-7917 or 651-353-6560 cell

Bulltear Ad