PDA

View Full Version : wiring a TD101 automated

Bulltear Ad
Bulltear Ad

sadisticiron
03-24-2010, 12:27 AM
i have put everything together ran all the neccesary wires. now i need a little help wiring up my plasma. ive seen a post on pirate about a voltage transformer. im i suppose to get that with the kit or no. also my plasma came with exposed wires to go from the plasma to the controller...where do they go???

anotherthing how come the cables for the dthc and the z axis are short. on my 4x8 table the cables only come to the end of the table but the other two have about 8 ft left. kinda of wierd

jeepsr4ever
03-24-2010, 08:55 AM
Check your cables for all the other axis make sure you dont have a shorty. The DTHC card is hooked up via DB9 or simple serial cable. How long was the DB9?

Also the 101 is pretty easy to hook up but because it is older technology it does require a current transformer. These are VERY easy to install but are not included with the system. I can get one out to you on monday they are a cheap little $12 part. You will need to hook up 3 things

1. Torch switch (fires torch on and off and it must be spliced into two blue wires coming from the plug that the torch lead attaches to)

http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y29/bulltear/101wiring3.jpg

2. The current transformer for arc ok is hooked up like this. You may need to loosen the power cable coming in to your 101. One leg of the 220 line goes through the center of the current transformer. The current transformer utilizes a resistor on top between terminals and it will come with one. The resistor has long metal legs you wrap around the current transformer and on each end you also include one lead to the arc ok terminals on the DTHC card. These terminals on your card will have little screws fro tightening.

http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y29/bulltear/101wiring.jpg

3. The last thing to hook up is the tip volts. These are the large seperated prongs on the DTHC card. They go to this area. Find out which one is positive and which is negative both on the pc board and on the card. If you dont know which one goes where on the PC board in the plama unit then follow the instructions on the little DTHC card. One lead (+/positive) goes to the clamp you use for ground and the other lead (-/negative) goes to the torch lead or plasma cutting head.

http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y29/bulltear/101wiring2.jpg

jeepsr4ever
03-24-2010, 09:36 AM
If you want to get it quicker our current transformer supplier is in California. They are $7.95ea. Check here http://www.jameco.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/ProductDisplay?langId=-1&storeId=10001&catalogId=10001&productId=174887

sadisticiron
03-24-2010, 02:29 PM
ok i ordered the transformer.

the cables that are the shortest are the ones for the dthc and the y i believe. it has that extra 4 ft that it has to go across the table thats why its shorter.

the cutmaster 101 came with a connector that plugs into the plasma and the bare wires go to the controler i believe not sure. im searching TD website to see where it goes.

is there anything else that i need to hook up or buy before i use it. i was hoping to get cutting this weekend hopefully... :smile:

sadisticiron
03-24-2010, 02:42 PM
http://www.thermadyne.com/IM_Uploads/Literature/lit_461_300X4642.pdf

page 37

jeepsr4ever
03-24-2010, 03:03 PM
There should be nothing left to buy to use it. I will get your liscensing tomorrow for sheetcam and mach 3.

sadisticiron
03-24-2010, 04:08 PM
cool thanks

jeepsr4ever
03-26-2010, 01:00 PM
Dont forget the resistor! 5watt 5-15ohms

sadisticiron
03-26-2010, 07:02 PM
to late. i just got the transformer and it doesnt come with the resistor...................would radio shack have that resistor

sadisticiron
03-26-2010, 07:15 PM
to late. i just got the transformer and it doesnt come with the resistor...................would radio shack have that resistor

jeepsr4ever
03-27-2010, 05:54 AM
Too big for radioshack! You will have to locate another electronics supplier. Running it without the resistor will burn up the unit.

sadisticiron
03-27-2010, 10:49 AM
are you serious...........i cant find one anywhere, everybody is closed.....i 2nd day shipped the transformer to have it here. if i knew i needed one i would have ordered one. do you have a part number for the resistor i need so i can next day it from them.

"2. The current transformer for arc ok is hooked up like this. You may need to loosen the power cable coming in to your 101. One leg of the 220 line goes through the center of the current transformer. The current transformer utilizes a resistor on top between terminals and it will come with one. The resistor has long metal legs you wrap around the current transformer and on each end you also include one lead to the arc ok terminals on the DTHC card. These terminals on your card will have little screws fro tightening."

is there anything else that i need to get this machine going.

jeepsr4ever
03-27-2010, 12:37 PM
That is the last piece needed! The thermal dynamics 101 is a decent cutter but to use it with automation a current transformer is required. CT's will burn out if a resistor is not run across. Sorry it didnt come with the proper resistor. I should know on monday where to get you one. When we re-open.

sadisticiron
03-27-2010, 03:47 PM
Ok riddle me this. If my plasma is an automated plasma cutting system with the cables coming out of the machine with arc volts+-, torch switch+-, and other. Also it has an automation interface pc board. Why do I need the transformer if the transformer is doing what the cables have

Do you so have some install pics of the DTHC board installed. I'm trying to get my table with the gantry set at least this weekend. I have everything hooked up except the plasma. How do I get the machine to move? I want it to jog around so I can tear it apart and get the table painted

jeepsr4ever
03-27-2010, 06:09 PM
IF you have the automated board from thermaldyne then you can pickup arc volts from that. The pics shown are from a 101 and theonly thing that would change would be the arc voltage from the current transformer.

sadisticiron
03-27-2010, 10:52 PM
ok mine is a thermal dynamics 101 automated version. its has an arc volts plug in. so what your saying is i dont need the arc transformer then, correct?

heres the schematic on page 37

http://www.thermadyne.com/IM_Uploads/Literature/lit_461_300X4642.pdf

jeepsr4ever
03-28-2010, 07:07 AM
It looks like #5 and #7 on the J2 board is what you want for arc voltage on the DTHC card. Your #20 and #18 would go to tip volts on the DTHC card. #1 and #3 will go to your torch switch...doesnt matter which one. Now if Thermadyne has the right resistor all should be fine. If DTHC doesnt work well then you will need a current T-former.

sadisticiron
04-01-2010, 10:34 PM
finally got it done. all thats left is to make sure everything works like its suppose to

http://img691.imageshack.us/img691/4349/img00112201003312013t.jpg

Bulltear Ad