PDA

View Full Version : Dana 44 brake/hub assembly question

Bulltear Ad
Bulltear Ad

northplainsdrifter
04-21-2010, 10:23 AM
I have a Scout front D44 with disc brakes. I have it all disasembled and stupid me, I can't remember the way I took it apart. Does it go spindle, caliper mounting plate and then dust sheild or caliper plate, spindle then dust sheild. I spent the last hour or so trying to find a picture or diagrahm and have found both ways. Anybody know for sure? Is a Scout different then other 44's?

HELP!

msalaba
04-21-2010, 11:19 AM
iirc, spindle, caliper bracket, dust shield. There should be a machined ring on the knuckle side of the spindle that snugly fits into the hole in the knuckle. You should also be able to see which part the washers were against.

To verify, put your hub back on and check caliper fitment.

tufcj
04-21-2010, 11:23 AM
Agreed. Spindle, caliper bracket, dust shield. Same as the 76-79 CJ dana 30 with "big brakes".

Bob
tufcj

northplainsdrifter
04-21-2010, 11:23 AM
That's what I thought, I'm just making sure. It was late last night and I thought it would go on both ways. It just didn't seem right with the caliper bracket first.

Thanks!

northplainsdrifter
04-21-2010, 11:48 AM
Are the dust covers that important? They're all bent to crap. I took them off my D30 and never had a problem.

tufcj
04-21-2010, 03:14 PM
Not a big deal. I ran without them on my Dana 30. The brakes may just not be as effective on wet roads due to splash.

Bob
tufcj

Bulltear Ad