PDA

View Full Version : SS Valves for the 360-401

Bulltear Ad
Bulltear Ad

Old Rugged Crosser
05-02-2010, 01:20 PM
Hey MC, Fifesjeep and the other gearheads:

One of you mentioned to use the Chev light weight valves. I have looked in numerous places to see what is offered in this regard.

It seems that the Chev. 2.02 intakes at 4.90 length is no problem but I still haven't been able to come up with an exhaust valve at 1.68 What exhaust valve do you use. Have any no.'s and where you bought them?

I kind of wonder about the quality of the valves offered at Madog. They offer their complete set for less than what others charge for a set of intakes. Their check out system also sucks. I tried to buy something from them and when you press the button to check out nothing happens. I couldn't buy because I could not check out. Also what about the scorpion brand? Any Good? ( Alum Rockers )

MC. What about those Gold pushrods with the restricted oil holes. Are they hardened? Can they be used with guideplates?

I'm ready to do my heads but I need to buy some valves for my 291c heads. It seems that retailers or wholesalers do not stock AMC aplication valves and are at least 2 weeks out.

Could you guys give me some ideas and help in this matter.

Spring is just about gone and I want to get to wheelen by Summer. :sa: :sa:

tufcj
05-03-2010, 08:11 AM
I'm running the Mad Dog "severe race" SS valves in my AMX. I rev it to 6000-6500 regularly. They are a little heavier than Chevy, but I think the stems being 3/8 vs. 11/32 makes them a bit stronger too. I don't think the 1/32" makes a big difference in flow for my "hot street" application. I had the heads machined and brass guides, hardened seats, and positive seals put in (along with polish/port/gasket match).

Bob
tufcj

fuzz401
05-03-2010, 10:07 AM
these are in my new heads that may some day get instaled on my motor

Manley 11864 intakes and 11329 exhausts. They are 2.02/1.625 racemaster stock length sbc; not the top of the line but good for a 6500 rpm solid cam engine.

msalaba
05-04-2010, 08:23 AM
My local machine shop was able to source AMC replacement valves for me. I can't remember what brand.

S/S valves are only "required" on propane and then only needed on the exhaust.

Running chevy valves in an AMC is some trick racing stuff for engines that routinely see more than 6500 RPM. The chevy valves are smaller too.

The more machining required, the more $$$$$$$$

I got a 3-angle valve job, new valves (stock replacement), new springs, new valve guides, mill for positive valve seals & mill head... Cost a little over $900. I can imagine another few hundreds to use chevy valves.

I'd make sure you know what the engine would be used for first. Build for that. Save some $$$ for beer. :razz:

ironman_gq
05-04-2010, 10:05 AM
I got stock replacement valves at my local auto value but they were spendy I thin the intake were $16 each and the exhaust were about the same.

Bulltear Ad