PDA

View Full Version : Can't get it to cut

Bulltear Ad
Bulltear Ad

nsmart
07-02-2010, 08:08 PM
I have the 4x4 gantry kit and have everything set up but it will not cut. When I load gcode into mach3 and try to hit run the gantry moves and the torch goes down to make contact with the metal. After making contact the torch fires and instead of moving to make the cut it just stays in the same place blowing a hole in the metal and that's it.
Does anyone have any idea what this could be? I have been trying to figure this out for days now.

jeepsr4ever
07-03-2010, 06:50 AM
Do you get an error on the Mach 3 screen? Typically when this happens it means you have a bad ground. This is a safety feature in the system. Does your DTHC online button turn green and does your ARC OK button lightup?

nsmart
07-03-2010, 11:25 AM
I am not getting a error message. The arc ok turns green but not the dthc. The dthc online does not light at all. The thc light flashes so I am not sure that is normal or if it should stay lit. If it is easier for you to call me my number is 214-232-3647.

Thanks

jeepsr4ever
07-03-2010, 01:16 PM
Calling you now

nsmart
07-03-2010, 02:46 PM
I tried recutting with the thc set higher and still not working. I was wrong about the arc ok signal. It does not light up either when the torch is on. I verified all my connections in the plasma cutter and they are all correct. The arc ok signal light will turn on if i jumper the wires on the dthc board in the plasma cutter but still no dthc light.

jeepsr4ever
07-04-2010, 01:49 PM
Have you installed your Mach liscense file?

nsmart
07-04-2010, 10:53 PM
yep!!!

nsmart
07-10-2010, 03:52 PM
I got the issue fixed with the computer not seeing the dthc with the help from tom. The cable you sent me was wrong and you had a gender changer connected to it. That was making the cable reversed from what the signals were supposed to be. I went and got a db9 extension cable from fry's electronics and that fixed that problem.

Now the problem is the cutting. The gantry will move to the cut spot and move down to pierce. It then pierces the metal and sits there with the torch on for a few seconds then turns the torch off. After that it will sit there some more time with the torch off and then it moves around the toolpath with the torch off. Then it moves to the next pierce point and does the exact same thing.
When the torch is on the arc ok light is on and the volts are showing also. I have the volts set at 117 per the hypertherm book and the torch volts are showing around 160 when it pierces. The amp box has zero in it at all times.
If I run the gcode with the thc off it does the same exact thing. I am not sure what the problem is but I am ready to get this table cutting!!

jeepsr4ever
07-11-2010, 08:48 AM
Can you manually turn your torch on and it stays on? If it doesnt it is possible you have a bad consumable. Mach 3 is told not to move if you loose a ground or if the torch misfires like a consumable is worn.

jimcolt
07-14-2010, 10:00 AM
If he is reading arc voltage, then he has an adequate ground. Sounds to me as though there is no arc transfer (arc good) communication between the plasma and the control, therefore the torch just sits in place....if the arc voltage gets too high the plasma arc will extinguish....probably at around 165 or 170 volts. The voltage will keep rising if the torch sits in place....as the hole keeps getting bigger, making the effective arc length longer.

Jim Colt

Bulltear Ad