PDA

View Full Version : Carb and pcv setup on a 360

Bulltear Ad
Bulltear Ad

LSUtiger
08-11-2010, 11:31 AM
I swapped out the 304 for a 360.

Where does the pcv valve come from and go to?
On the 304 it comes out of the back of the intake manifold and goes to an adapter under the 2100mc.

The 360 did not have a carb or anything under it. It looks like I need an insulator to go inbetween the gaskets.

Where can I get an insultor?
Can I use a different setup? Like a spacer

LSUtiger
08-12-2010, 01:31 PM
I found the insulator at bjs offroad.

Still haven't figured out the pcv

tufcj
08-12-2010, 05:35 PM
Welcome to Bulltear! :!:

The PCV fits in a grommet in the large hole in the back of the manifold. If you have an aftermarket aluminum manifold, then there is also a tin baffle that needs to be on the bottom to keep the motor from sucking oil into the PCV.

All the stock 2BBLs and some 4BBLs used the plate below the carb for the PCV. All the aftermarket 4BBL carbs have a PCV port built in, so the plate isn't needed.

Bob
tufcj

ironman_gq
08-14-2010, 09:04 AM
location is the same as the 304 but how you run it is up to you. Some guys just put a vent in and call it good but I find that having a functioning PCV helps keep the oil leaks down and reduces blowby (better ring seal) as well as keeps the oily blowby off of everything.

LSUtiger
08-14-2010, 03:03 PM
Thanks for the welcome!

The 360 does not have the rubber gasket in the back of the stock 2bbl manifold. Also, there is no plate under the carb for the pcv to hook into. The 304 that was in there was hooked up that way so I know what you're talking about. It looks like there is a cto and egr at the back of the manifold but the cto looking things hole is not as large as the pcv on the 304.

matty 401
08-15-2010, 08:06 PM
the pcv plugs into the carb are you running a 4 barrel ?
do you have a pic of the intake

LSUtiger
08-16-2010, 01:22 PM
I ran into a problem. The pcv is the least of my worries. I filled the radiator with water and after an hour water was pouring out of the dipstick without even turning the motor over.

Now I'm going to replace the head gaskets and see what happens. Might swap the intake for a 4bbl so the pcv is going to be different anyway.

Any advice on how to prep the engine without spending any more money than I have to?

Could it be something other than a head gasket(or cracked block)

Thanks for the help. I guess that the pcv on the 2bbl manifold is smaller than the one on my 1973 304 and plugs into the carb itself.

tufcj
08-16-2010, 03:14 PM
Before you replace the head gaskets, make sure it isn't the intake manifold gasket. I've seen these fail much more often than head gaskets. It will allow water to leak into the crankcase.

When installing the valley pan, I like to use Permatex Ultra Gray RTV around the water ports (front and rear most ports), and spray copper around the actual intake ports. Be sure to coat both sides of the metal valley pan. The pan will lock into the oversized front and rearmost bolt holes when installed correctly.

Bob
tufcj

fifesjeep
08-16-2010, 04:46 PM
X Eleventy :t:

LSUtiger
08-16-2010, 04:49 PM
Thanks for the tip. I'll get going on it this weekend. I'll post back to let y'all know what's going on.

Thanks again for posting!

LSUtiger
08-24-2010, 02:46 PM
I will return. Just having trouble getting the intake off.

The exhaust bolts are a different size than the 304. They are smaller. Do ya'll have the bolts for headers?

LSUtiger
08-29-2010, 03:41 PM
Is there anyway to tell if the valley pan is the culprit?
It looks to be in decent shape. There was a lot of gunk in it.

Anything I can do to get the water out of the engine? I have pulled the oilpan plug. The sparkplugs are out and I plan to turn over by hand then by starter.

Thanks for the help.

Bulltear Ad