PDA

View Full Version : 4.0 jeep

Bulltear Ad
Bulltear Ad

matty 401
08-25-2010, 07:37 PM
my son has a 88 cherokee 4.0 stick we put a 3" list on it now it has a stutter at about 35-40 in third and forth we put new cap rotor plugs wires idle air control and map and throttle posision sensor sill there not as bad but never the less still there any body have any ideas what else to look for could it be a ground maybe :banghead:

Goose
08-27-2010, 10:04 AM
Did you do a body lift or a suspension lift? If body lift.. check for all the connections coming thru the firewall (wiring) make sure something hasn't pulled tight or gotten cut, in any case the engine to chassis grounds are always a safe bet to check with an intermittent problem like this.

Since it followed the lift, I would say its a safe bet that somewhere in the process you have disturbed something.

tufcj
08-27-2010, 12:20 PM
C'mon Goose. An 88 Cherokee is a unibody. No body lifts there.

Since this started after the lift, check the u-joints for wear or binding. The rear dive shafts on the Cherokees are pretty short, and I've seen the yokes bind with only a 3" lift. Look for shiney spots inside the yoke, especially at the front slip. If there is minor contact you can grind a bit away, but not too much.

It may be time for a SYE (slip yoke eliminator) on the t-case. It makes the rear shaft a couple of inches longer, and more flexible.

Also check motor mounts for wear and/or breakage. Oil soaked rubber mounts get pretty soft.

Bob
tufcj

Old Rugged Crosser
08-27-2010, 06:19 PM
Come on guys what kind of diagnostic sense do your comments make. You have to be better then that. The man has a miss in his motor and you are talking about u joints and slip yoke eliminators. You been smoking some of that funny stuff? Get real? It is probably more realistic to talk about fuel filters and stretched rubber hoses and such.

:sa: :sa: :sa:

tufcj
08-27-2010, 08:21 PM
You'd be surprised how a binding yoke would put a stutter-like feeling through the engine/drivetrain.

If you can't feel it at idle, only 35-40 MPH in 3rd or 4th gear, and the only changes made were to the drivetrain, logic says the problem is somewhere in the drivetrain, not in the engine itself.

Bob
tufcj

Old Rugged Crosser
08-28-2010, 02:34 PM
I really don't see where he made
and the only changes made were to the drivetrain,

This was not a part of the discourse. Proper results lye in the details.

matty 401
08-29-2010, 07:42 PM
jeep rolls easy can't seem to find any binding on the rear shaft

Old Rugged Crosser
08-30-2010, 01:10 AM
Have you checked you vacuum advance hose. Is it connected to the carb or the intake manifold? :sa: :sa: :sa:

Bulltear Ad