PDA

View Full Version : 401 Build?

Bulltear Ad
Bulltear Ad

rbdesse
09-07-2010, 10:53 PM
I was building an AMC 360 for my CJ project, when I came across a Jeep CJ T18 tranny and Dana 20 transfer case. I also found an AMC 401 for sale, but I am not sure of the condition since it is partially dissassembled. Now, I am thinking that I want to build a 401 for my CJ project to complement the rest of the drivetrain. Also, I have an early 1971 360 so some of the parts are hard to find (3-bolt harmonic balancer and associated pulleys, 9.5:1 pistons with 58cc heads, and water pump, etc).

I have two options: (1). buy the 401 for $800 (not sure of the overbore nor the condition of the block and internal parts, etc), (2). buy a bare block and then build the 401 from scratch.

I am leaning towards option 2, since i am not sure if the $800 engine has already been bored larger than 0.02 or 0.030, and the machining costs to clean, check for cracks, and recondition the block, crank and rods might be more than buying a bare block and starting from scratch.

I can use the external components from my 360, but I need a rotating assembly for the bare block 401 build.

I am having problems locating a 401 crankshaft and rods (I think these were forged from the factory, so I want to make sure the replacements are forged as well). A complete rotating assembly would be ideal for my build. I also want a set of pistons that will give me 9.5:1 compression ratio with 58cc heads (the heads will be sourced from my existing 360 with some machinework to recondition).

Any comments or suggestions?

fuzz401
09-08-2010, 05:55 AM
factory rods were steel on a 401 if you need a set of 8 factory rods let me know

Bulltear Ad