PDA

View Full Version : v8 intake gasket question

Bulltear Ad
Bulltear Ad

juggernaught
09-14-2010, 08:40 AM
Is it possible to instal an intake gasket 180 degrees out and block any passages(ie. water) on a amc 360?

ironman_gq
09-14-2010, 10:18 AM
I dont know but I would think that both sides would be semetrical so if it was possible I dont think it would matter. I take it you put your engine together and are having problems.

juggernaught
09-14-2010, 11:55 AM
Yeah a couple of "issues", but while I expected some things to pop up I never expected these issues. When the motor is rebuilt by a novice (me), and the tranny is rebuilt, and the transfer case is rebuilt (tera/low), and the rebuild takes 1 year, and the used carb is rebuilt etc..............you get the picture.

Just looking for some answers. Got off the phone with my AMC mechanic who told me the intake gasket is labeled "UP" and is symetrical. Wish some one would enlighten me on the coil-power issue though............

All just a matter of time and money.

tufcj
09-14-2010, 02:47 PM
NOPE. Same either way. If there was a difference, they'd stamp it with a front and/or rear marking.

Bob
tufcj

juggernaught
09-14-2010, 09:41 PM
Just double checking.....may have some temperature issues due to timing and carb. adjustments (jetting).

juggernaught
10-04-2010, 09:05 AM
Found out that my "temp. issues" were actually due to the fact that my carb. guru had hooked up the dist. advance to a non ported vacuum area on the carb. and I was getting full advance at idle.

Who would of thunk you could run a engine like that? Everything is good and "cool" now. Maybe this will help someone else.

tarior
10-23-2010, 10:46 AM
You want your vacuum advance hooked up to full manifold vacuum. That way it gets maximum advance under no-load and low load conditions and backs it off when under a heavier load. Too little timing under light load/idle conditions can actually cause overheating.

Bulltear Ad