PDA

View Full Version : Cam

Bulltear Ad
Bulltear Ad

Brett Polwell
11-24-2010, 08:29 AM
I have a bone stock, very fresh 401. I have never been horribly impressed with the performance of this engine. I am currently running a DUI distributer, Howell Fuel injection, and a Edlebrock performer manifold. Would it be worth my time to put a different cam in while keeping the stock rocker arms. Its in a 91 Wrangler that I use offroad primarily but I do enjoy driving around town when its nice. I am also running a 727 with a stock geared Dana 300 and 4:56 gears in the axles on 37 inch tires.

If it would be worth the time what cam would anyone suggest. I also know that I would have to send my chip to Howell to have it reprogramed.

tufcj
11-24-2010, 09:17 AM
Any idea on the specs on the cam that's in it and the compression? What converter are you running in the trans? It will all make a difference in cam selection. Stock rockers and valve seals limit total lift to around .500".

Bob
tufcj

Brett Polwell
11-24-2010, 09:51 AM
Everything in this motor is stock from the AMC factory. It was a crate motor that Don Adams had in his back shed. He won the Baja a few times and was sponsered by AMC in the 70's and 80's. This was just one of his left over motors that was still in the original wrapper. I just left everything stock. I had a high stall TC in it but that was not good for long hard pulls in the Mountains or crawling so I put it back to stock.

I like the reliability of the stock motor so I don't want to get too wild. I just thought an after market cam might help this thing breath a little better. I am also running stock manifolds with dual 2.5" exahust.

Bulltear Ad