PDA

View Full Version : One week update with new BullTear table

Bulltear Ad
Bulltear Ad

FiveORacing
12-19-2010, 06:08 PM
I've had my 4 x 8 table and Hypertherm PM 45 for one week now. Other than a couple bumps in the road which were pretty much my fault I finally got it cutting real nice tonight. Nothing terrible fancy but a few pieces with a dozen inside cuts and lots of curves. The Powermax 45 cut through some 1/4 inch plate really cleanly at 40ipm, probably could have gone a litter faster, but 90% of the stuff I plan on cutting will be thinner material.

The biggest issue I had was I broke the Z axis limit switch when I ran the torch off the plate and manually picked it up past the switch and dropped the arm back on top of it. Then I reloaded Mach 3 thinking I had a software problem and I forgot all the settings (which I should have written down in my haste to try some cuts).

MC to the rescue both times, even taking his time out on Sunday to call me and get me going. I'm confident we got it right this time and I'm off to get some steel tomorrow and try some more stuff. Also hope to find a local supplier for consumables for my Hypertherm.

I have zero experience in machining and CNC etc so it's a little daunting but Matt talked me through it. After the last phone call I cut two 10 inch spiders out of 1/8 steel and they came out nearly ready for paint or powdercoat.

Maybe you can teach an old dog a few new tricks. :)

jeepsr4ever
12-20-2010, 02:50 PM
Pics please Pics :D

FiveORacing
12-20-2010, 06:28 PM
Here ya go. The heat was off in the garage and I got one picture before the batteries went dead in the Nikon. Once I get some projects I'll post some more.... I'm learning more and more everyday. You can see some cuts in the rusty metal on the floor...

http://i70.photobucket.com/albums/i97/fiveojoe/DSCN3086.jpg?t=1292891526

jeepsr4ever
12-23-2010, 09:43 AM
Nice shop!! I love TV!!! Your spoiled Joe...lol

More pics when you get rolling please :D

FiveORacing
01-29-2011, 07:11 PM
Well, after about 5 weeks I'm getting pretty confident in cutting things. I have gotten better at getting the setting right for different gauge steel and reviewing the file before generating the G-code. The table cuts really nice at about 240IPM for 16 gauge steel. The only modification I made is to run two approx 7 inch panels down each side of the water table, in the water, wedged alongside the slats. This stops ALL the splashing water from leaving the table on the sides and getting the floor, the cutter and the electronics wet. I just cut two lengths from the first piece of sheet steel I purchased, wedged them betwen the slats, pushed some slats to one side and the others the the opposite side and it holds them in place just fine..

The table is awesome. BullTear has been very supportive and was patient with all my questions. Can't thank them enough. The quality vs cost is the best in the business.

Here are a couple of my recent projects.....

Bulltear Ad