PDA

View Full Version : Taking 360 to machine shop tomorow Oiling mod questions

Bulltear Ad
Bulltear Ad

stidham13
01-13-2011, 10:12 PM
I'm taking my 1973 360 block i picked up in a waggy to the machine shop tomorrow.
Its going in my 76 CJ-7 in place of a tired 304

Have a few questions about what oiling mods need to be done.

The build will be pretty mild, Edelbrock intake, about 9 to 1 compression, crane H-260-2 cam, truck avenger carb, stock exhaust manifolds, dual exhaust

I was planning on ordering the increased pressure cam bearings, new timing cover with a midplate.

Is there any need to do any other mods that I need on an engine that will never see 5000 Rpm.

Any other things to watch out for.

I'm open to other suggestions before I get in too deep also.

Thanks for the help I'm new to AMC engines but this seems like the place to be to get help.

tufcj
01-14-2011, 07:32 PM
For a low RPM engine, what you have planned will be fine. A quality rebuild and it will be good for another 100K miles. AMC engines love to breathe. Any extra coin you have to spend on a performance valve job and some minor porting is well spent. Be sure to get new valve springs matched to the requirements of your cam.

Bob
tufcj

stidham13
01-14-2011, 08:45 PM
Great dropped it off today and got a standard rebuild, three angle valve job, deck the block a little to bring up the compression a touch, heads milled, balanced rotating assembly, basically every thing but line bored, and an assembled short block for $1794.00 I do have to supply the cam bearings, Timing set, cam, lifters and valve springs but all in all I didn't think that was a bad price my dad has used the machinist for years and his work is spot on.

I just hope the block, heads and crank check out good now.

tufcj
01-15-2011, 07:45 AM
I spent more than that just on machine work on my 390. With parts I spent just over $3000, and assembled it myself. Sounds like you got a good deal.

Bob
tufcj

Bulltear Ad