PDA

View Full Version : Limited Slip Rear (Ice/Snow/Mountains)

Bulltear Ad
Bulltear Ad

rollbar
03-04-2011, 12:02 AM
Just wondering what LSD to get for the rear. When I was in Fla I was going to go w/a spool but I don't think that's a good idea now.

Just thinking about the addition when the build is complete and seeing a lot of you are from/been in these conditions more than I, well, I wanted some experienced info etc.

Thanks,
Jim

P.S. Dana 44 CJ rear and I don't want to break the bank :)

northplainsdrifter
03-04-2011, 07:15 AM
I would suggest a stock Trac-lock, readily available and cheap! It should give the traction you need without being locked up. I think you can get different clutches to make it grab how you want. A locker in the snow/ice will put you in a ditch faster than than you can say, 'oh @$%&"!

rollbar
03-04-2011, 10:23 AM
Hum, wonder if I could find one. I did hear w/the stock LSD w/a lot of wheel spin they ware out quick. Not sure if that is true.

Old Rugged Crosser
03-04-2011, 08:23 PM
Hum, wonder if I could find one. I did hear w/the stock LSD w/a lot of wheel spin they ware out quick. Not sure if that is true.

Jim. What rear end are you using? I may have just what you need.

tufcj
03-04-2011, 10:20 PM
The Track-lock was a factory clutch type limited slip. They did wear out quickly, I haven't seen too many still working over 20K miles. The problem with them is the outer clutch pack rides against the carrier, so when the clutches wear, so does the carrier. Usually, the carrier is worn beyond spec if they don't work. Stacking in an additional disc makes them too tight, and they become a spool.

Northplains is right, something like a Detroit will tend to make the rear move straight sideways on icy roads. My Jeep has Detroits in both ends, and driving on the street in 4WD it tries to change lanes with every shift.

Detroit (now Eaton) True-tracks are nice, but kind of spendy. The old Power Locks are very good, but hard to find. I really like the Auburn Ected, but it ain't cheap.

Bob
tufcj

rollbar
03-04-2011, 11:15 PM
I'm using a D-44 CJ rear. I could get the numbers off it if need be.

Bob, I didn't know they would eat the carrier, WoW.

Hum, trying to keep the cost down so I don't know what to do.

cemkage
03-22-2011, 12:34 AM
Interesting thread, new to jeeps I learned some tips from the comments posted here. Thanks guys! north carolina mountain property for sale (http://www.fallcreekland.com/)

rollbar
03-22-2011, 08:54 PM
Jim. What rear end are you using? I may have just what you need.

Larry, I'm running a D-44 Jeep rear.

Bulltear Ad