PDA

View Full Version : Flat towing ?

Bulltear Ad
Bulltear Ad

Old Rugged Crosser
04-11-2011, 10:17 PM
Can I hear the pro's and con's on flat towing? I can disconnect my front axles so that is no problem. But what about the transfer case? I have a D20 behind my Th 400.
I can disconnect the trans. by putting the xfer case in neutral. Wouldn't that be all that is necessary for a several hundred mile tow? Heard some roomers that the xfer case will not be picking up the oil properly. How can that be?

Would you guys please fill me in?111!!!111!!!

rollbar
04-11-2011, 10:34 PM
If you have front unlocking hubs, unlock them.

Take the 8mm socket and remove the DS on the rear, tape the u-joint in a sandwich bag and tie the DS up on the frame. Put everything in neutral and no worries.

Safest way.

tufcj
04-12-2011, 05:27 PM
The Model 20 will flat tow just fine in neutral. The gears inside spin and keep everything lubed. I flat towed mine hundreds of miles before I bought a trailer. The Dana 300 is another story, when you put a 300 in neutral, nothing inside spins except the output shaft, which requires splash oiling. A 300 will burn up the rear output shaft bearings if towed long distances.

Bob
tufcj

Old Rugged Crosser
04-12-2011, 08:14 PM
The Model 20 will flat tow just fine in neutral. The gears inside spin and keep everything lubed. I flat towed mine hundreds of miles before I bought a trailer. The Dana 300 is another story, when you put a 300 in neutral, nothing inside spins except the output shaft, which requires splash oiling. A 300 will burn up the rear output shaft bearings if towed long distances.

Bob
tufcj

Thanks Bob. That's good news! I'm planning on flat towing it to go out to the Florance Oregon sand dunes and meet up with the North plains Drifter this summer.

northplainsdrifter
04-13-2011, 07:09 AM
That's good news! I always wondered that too as I used to flat tow mine.

Can't wait for Florence!

Bulltear Ad