PDA

View Full Version : Distributor gear problem

Bulltear Ad
Bulltear Ad

Ciscodogg
04-16-2012, 04:59 AM
I bought a set of your cam/distributor gears recently. I just went to put the new distributor gear on and found the roll pin wouldn't go all the way through. After looking everything over, the hole in the distributor shaft is not centered - it's offset. The hole in the new gear is centered.

Have you ever heard of this before? At first I thought maybe the distributor was just drilled funny from the factory (OEM dist) but they wouldn't have drilled the gear and the shaft together, so that doesn't make sense. I'm probably going to order a new distributor ($50 at O'Reilly's) and maybe it will have a centered hole.

Any thoughts on a solution?

Thanks!

jeepsr4ever
04-16-2012, 05:12 AM
If your distributor hole is uncentered you can either drill a new hole, run a drill down using the gear as a guide or buy a new distributor. Aftermarket or reman units are typically off center. Some OEM distributors were even like this. We check on the distributors we sell to make sure the center hole is true.

Ciscodogg
04-16-2012, 11:05 AM
If I drill the shaft 90* from the current hole it will be starting in the bevel, and I'm afraid if I use the gear as a guide the bit will want to walk and oval the hole in the gear. I have another distributor coming tomorrow (OEM) so we'll see where the hole is on that.

So it sounds like your gears are only made to fit your distributors?

jeepsr4ever
04-16-2012, 11:09 AM
No you have a distributor with a off-center hole in the shaft. That is rare and is not how AMC intended it. This means the gear was installed and the pair were drilled together.

Ciscodogg
04-16-2012, 11:50 AM
Okay - when you said "Aftermarket or reman units are typically off center." that made me think they were all offset. If it's rare, then the reman one from O'reilly's will be centered (hopefully). Thanks for responding so quickly.

Ciscodogg
04-16-2012, 12:21 PM
I see you posted on ifsja.com back in 2007 about being a ProComp dealer. You mentioned that "the stems are smaller" on the ProComp distributors? Just curious what your experience is with them.

That said - I understand the advantages of better parts, which is why I bought your gears in the first place. This Jeep is just a basic around-town vehicle and will never see mud or hard use. If the ProComp unit will deliver an accurate spark (also have an MSD 6AL on it) then it's good enough. I put all the high-dollar good stuff in my Dart, but it's a race car that gets run hard. This is my wife's "fun" jeep.

jeepsr4ever
04-16-2012, 01:26 PM
We worked with procomp to eliminate problem with their AMC V8 distributor only to be royally screwed over by them. They took us for a few thousand and shut the door. Never do business with them inferior products.

Ciscodogg
04-16-2012, 01:58 PM
Wow - that was nice of them. Hopefully the Cardone will have a centered hole and we'll be good to go. If not, I suppose it's MSD and a stiff drink LOL.

Ciscodogg
04-17-2012, 03:42 AM
The Cardone had an offset hole too. You say the MSD's are drilled in the center?

Ciscodogg
04-17-2012, 04:31 AM
Disregard - I redrilled your gear to match the offset hole in the shaft. It's dead-nuts - works great.

Bulltear Ad